Author Topic: Could first bottle of day be hurting her tummy??  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Could first bottle of day be hurting her tummy??
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:30:31 pm »
Hi there

I am seeing the paediatrician on Monday with DD to discuss her MPI (she has been on Nutramigen for the last 10 days) and plan to discuss the following with her but, so she doesn't think me bonkers, I thought I'd see if any of you have encountered anything similar???

DD is now 13 weeks and sleeps for 11 hours at night which is fab though it means that I only get 4 bottles in her a day !!
My problem is the first bottle.  You'd think she'd be starving after going nearly 12 hours between feeds but she never seems hungry when she wakes.  I feed her and after 3 oz she starts the back arching she did before going on Nutramigen.  I can hear the formula in her tummy.

She does bring up acid sometimes after a feed and I wonder if she may have some reflux ....??

Am I crazy wondering if taking this first bottle hurts her tummy if its empty?  she doesn't arch her back for the other feeds unless she is tired.

Lin 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:28:47 am by Lindy Loo »

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Re: Could first bottle of day be hurting her tummy??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:31:37 am »
Update ...

DD found her thumb yesterday and was sucking it this morning for about half an hour before waking.  Strangely she was hungry when she woke and took a bit more than normal (though still had the back arching etc and the gurgly tummy noises) so maybe the sucking reflex got her appetite going  ???

Offline ~Natalie~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 141
Re: Could first bottle of day be hurting her tummy??
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 19:01:38 pm »
A lot of reflux babies like to take smaller meals, the sucking can help to sooth the throat, but at the same time a full tummy can hurt as the refluxing happens more.  So probably even if she is hungry in the morning she doesn't want to take a nice big bottle.  You could give her the bottle, let her eat about half of it, sit her up and burp her then see if she wants more.  It also helps if you feed on an incline instead of laying flat down.

With DS we didn't know he had reflux until we weaned the paci.  The sucking was sooo helpful for him.  Like with the bottle the sucking can help ease the pain and keep the acid down.  I felt terrible when I weaned the paci because he was in so much pain, but then he found his thumb.  We still had to get him on reflux meds because he didn't suck his thumb as much as the paci, but it definitely helped a little. 

Have you seen this?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0