Author Topic: On my own and need some help...naps and night..  (Read 2872 times)

lilac83

Re: On my own and need some help...naps and night..
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 03:02:41 am »
I'm so glad your friend came over tonight to help you! Definitely some progress being made if you're able to extend his 45 minute naps. Hopefully he will start doing this on his own soon. Extending his wind down sounds like a good idea. Other sleepy cues can be losing interest in toys/people, getting a glazed over type of stare, loosing coordination, etc. Hope you have a good night!

Offline lizzieHarrold

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 07:19:43 am »
Hi

I think I must be getting there slowly but surely.  I keep convincing myself of that anyway!  Doesnt seem like it sometimes when you are in the thick of it all.

So night was not too bad.  After a week of settling himself at bedtime we have gone back to screaming the minute he gets put in his crib.  It took just an hour last night to get him to sleep and then he had a feed at 11.00 and then at 3.00. 

He woke again at 5.00, not sure why really as he isnt hungry and is just tossing and turning in his crib but his little eyes are still shut as if he is trying really hard to get back to sleep. 

I gave in and used the dummy and he want back to sleep till 6.45 which was great timing for his 7.00am feed!

Thanks for the tips on sleepy cues, the glazed look makes sense, I thought he was just being relaxed but actually he is probably giving me a sleepy cue.  So I took him upstairs at just before 8.00am, a bit later than I wanted to do but with a 3.5 year old to get ready for nursery its not so easy!  I put him in his grobag and started to read him a story, but it was pretty clear he was tired as he was getting agitated and crying, so I swaddled and put him down.

He shouted and protested for about 10 minutes, but eventually he has settled himself and gone to sleep and all is quiet.  So I have about 40 minutes of rest before he wakes.

Thanks for the support.....

L xx

Offline Julianne1984

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little girl and boy
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 07:38:26 am »
Wow that does sound like progress!!! Not all babies are textbook are they... They need to make a "not a textbook baby book" lol, that would be great! lol. Even when my lo is tired and he wants to sleep he still has a protest... I wrote down the time he cried every time, and the magic number is 6minutes!! He always cries up to 6minutes, any longer than that and he doesn't want to sleep. Not all babies go to sleep without crying a bit. It'll get less with time xx
Fay 29/4/2011, 7lb6oz. VBAC. Angel baby!
Tyler 23/5/2008, 8lb12oz. EMCS. Touchy/spirited boy!

Breastfeeding ~ Cosleeping ~ Babywearing

Offline lizzieHarrold

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 08:06:46 am »
I could definitely do with that book!!  Someone told me once that boys were easier than girls, clearly hadnt met my DS!!

I have a friend with two kids, the same age as mine and they have been the easiest babies in the world.

I have two that seem to want to change the world before they can even speak... My little girl has already decided that she wants to be a brain, heart, bone and children doctor!

You forget that they dont know anything about anything at all.

Is that 6 minutes from starting to cry to going to sleep?  thats a good idea, i might try that...

L x

Offline Julianne1984

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little girl and boy
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 08:15:44 am »
Yeah i put him down, he cries, and at 6mins or before he stops! (most of the time!) We spent so long trying to get him to sleep without crying, but even at the right time he still does it! If he cries after 6 we go and do shh/pat. Your lo might be just getting rid of energy, some do that. I found it really useful writing everything down :) x

Offline Julianne1984

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little girl and boy
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 18:52:42 pm »
Hey, how are things going? Hope it's going good x