Author Topic: Tips for keeping spirited 8 mo old still during bum changes?  (Read 5320 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Tips for keeping spirited 8 mo old still during bum changes?
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:16:52 am »
I have no idea where to put this, so putting it here and please move to appropriate place!

Anyone have any tips for keeping an 8month old to STAY STILL during a bum change?  My little guy just flips over onto his tummy the second I put him down!  I end up flipping him back onto his back over and over and over again.  I give him toys to play with put they only amuse him for about 10 seconds and he wants to go over again. Argh! 

After 3 or 4 flips he gets really angry that I am repeatedly putting him on his back and he has to stay still for 3 minutes to get changed!   It's worse when he's covered in poop  :-\

Someone once suggested sticking a sticker on my face, which I tried, and it worked for a short time, until he got frustrated that he couldn't REACH the sticker!!   

Surely someone has some good ideas!

Offline sanaya

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Tips for keeping spirited 8 mo old still during bum changes?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:16 am »
hey sweety, before you put him down give him a toy to hold and that will keep his attention for a bit, then put him down and change him FAST!
Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down.
Zayaan 18.05.03
Yuvaan 11.09.05
Vivaan  19.07.08

Offline mum101

• Char
  • Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:44 am »
give him something novel, I give DS a book (something he is really interested in), a tube of cream (closed), or a dummy cover. Things he hasn't seen before are best.

I also put something funny on my head like a car, or socks and allow it to fall on his tummy. As they get older you can ask them to open the nappy or 'help' get a wipe. He thinks it's pretty funny to see something on my head.

Someone else mentioned something they are not usually allowed.

Each time Leo tries to roll over I simply say 'no, lying down' and roll him over. I am hoping pure repetition helps him understand the way it is while on the table.
mumma to 2 former BW babies, DD 11, DS 8

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 20:02:22 pm »
I used to let Masyn hold something like the phone or a remote, which she wasn't normally allowed to have...then I switched to pullups at about 10 months - easy for changing a wet bum, just slip on a new one. Not any easier with the poopy ones though!

Heidi
Heidi

Offline Mashi

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 20:06:12 pm »
We've run out of "novel" things here! We've been through the wipes packet (which is now just his favourite standard toy....  ::) ), the remote, the phone, the diaper, a diaper bag, my cell phone, a sock, a shoe, my dirty slipper (another favourite  :-\ )...

I was hoping someone would tell me where they bought some sort of velcro contraption.....  :P

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 20:34:11 pm »
If you hold both ankles with one hand (so his knees are to the sides like a froggy) then he'll be unable to roll over. My dd often protests but at least she can't roll over!
Jenny - mama to

Offline Mashi

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 20:51:58 pm »
If you hold both ankles with one hand (so his knees are to the sides like a froggy) then he'll be unable to roll over. My dd often protests but at least she can't roll over!

HA! You've never seen my DS!!!  This child can roll anywhere. And is VERY determined!! LOL!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 21:33:11 pm »

I was hoping someone would tell me where they bought some sort of velcro contraption.....  :P

hmmmm.....maybe buy a kids harness and sew it onto the change table? Might hold him down until he figures out the buckles  ;D (I am fervently praying that Spencer never realizes how much fun rolling really is...she knows how, but has only done it about 6 times so far...)
Heidi

Offline Edesanja

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 08:16:51 am »
My DD is spirited too, but with her ankles held at her belly button she can try to move her head in an attempt to roll , but she has no momentum because her legs can't push her round.
Jenny - mama to

Offline Mashi

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:40 am »
So my DS is a weirdo! I wonder if he has some sort of hypermobility - the easiest way for him to turn is if I put his ankles at his belly button as described!  He arches his back to make himself flip, so if I put his ankles there, he just arches as much as he can and then uses his torso muscles to flip, and over he goes!  Ack!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:21:36 am »
Yes Jay, all of the poop ends up on his feet, his legs, the changing mat, and then he starts flapping his hands and gets it everywhere! He's been a bit constipated this week and so getting some pellet-poops and I am secretly a bit happy about that!!  :o Less mess! How horrible is that of me! LOL.

We have a changing thing with our travel cot, I've never even assembled it as the travel cot isn't for travel but for use as a playpen so maybe I will dig it out and see if it has a belt.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline sanaya

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 10:18:11 am »
mash i dont know if youre open to this but i dont change ds on the table these days, it take him to the bathroom counter, open out the diaper with him standing, kinda pull the pamper down with the poop in it, take some toilet paper, clean up the exta poo, then wash him in the sink with soap under the running tap, hes facing me part on his stomach resting on my hand with something in his hands of course to keep him occupied.
of course i've mastered it and do a good clean up job after i've changed him disinfect everything well....... i hope you're not eeked out but  i tell you i stoppe the change mat thing about 2 months ago.

Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down.
Zayaan 18.05.03
Yuvaan 11.09.05
Vivaan  19.07.08

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:17 am »
I am both laughing and sighing while reading through these. My lo is a lil over 7 mos and she is starting to do this. I have changed many diapers with her on her belly by awkwardly pushing the diaper through and up....because I had given up flipping her back over!

Poo is a different story though. I have to keep putting her on her back. She hates staying still. Usually I do what the others have recommended, holding both ankles or giving her a toy or something new (she likes the vaseline container and the lotion container, but of course tries to put them in her mouth YUCK), but she is still wiggly and uses all her strength to twist her torso and the top of her often has to be turned to get her to go back on her back. At this point, I'd say it might take 2 people for a messy poo change! hehe. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had that luxury?

I have found that it is easier for me to change her on the floor for some reason. I gave up the table most times. I even dress her on her bedroom floor now b/c she can sit up for the part where I put the shirt sleeves on her arms or over her head and she much prefers sitting up these days!

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 02:23:50 am »
OK- LOL- I think it may have been me that mentioned the sticker on your face bit- or at least I posted it somewhere...yes, my DS was the SAME way and had that crazy back arching flip and was incredibly strong- sorry you may have an early walker/runner on your hands. Okay...I let my son peel the sticker off my face - so sometimes I'd put 5 dots on my face, nose cheeks forehead, etc and keep his hands busy, then I put them on him, the wall, etc. anything to amuse him. I actually used those round office/yard sale dot stickers as they are cheaper. you could put a bunch on a empty toilet paper tube, etc. I too did standing poopy diaper changes at the toilet for a while...Stomach raspberries inhibit back arching, BTW. Singing or making really loud weird noises gets their attention...I'm just pulling anything out...hugs, hoping you get some more ideas...
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline Ajay

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 12:12:21 pm »
I'm probably jinxing myself, but, I have had some success in the last couple of days with a wrist rattle.  He hasn't had it on since he was a wee baby, and he spends the nappy change trying to get it off his wrist so he can eat the velcro.
HTH.
I have also found that 'singing' keeps his attention.  I can't sing, so he is probably trying to figure out who the heck is making that noise. lol.
Allison.

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 23:35:28 pm »
Mashi

They are so alike... my DS can flip regardless of whether I'm holding him at the top or the feet. He's made of some special bendy super strong stuff.

* We have a mobile hanging from the ceiling. Tropical fish that I spin around.
 * I keep a stash of a wide variety of toys right next to him on his changing table. If he already has a toy in hand, that comes too. Medicine spoons work well.
 * Eye contact
 * Singing. We have a change your nappy song that works for a change or two. I will break out into the most awful random singing of anything for comic effect too. I try my hand at Opera, any musicals, boombox, rapping, anything... even just really random notes or squeaks. DS loves - at the mo - me trying to get the highest note possible and then the lowest. Most days it's like opera warm-ups. Oh and Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and Frankie GTH's Power of Love, sung with mind blowing gusto and exaggeration work well for us everytime. I'd like to add that I cannot sing and it is truly awful. I fear for anyone on our baby monitor frequency.
 * A no rolling policy. He tries his luck for a day or so at least once a week. But it's a no, not ever ever ever.
 * Silly faces
 * Animal noises
 * Blowing raspberries on his belly (hard when his rear is a mess and stinks...)
 * Rolling tongues or brrrinng my lips

Has he started trying to demand that all dressing and nappies are changed while standing up yet?

Charlotte

Offline Mashi

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 06:57:13 am »
Has he started trying to demand that all dressing and nappies are changed while standing up yet?

Charlotte

Ugh - he's well on his way.  Saturday, DH was attempting to put a pair of overalls on him (I think he calls them dungarees in UK-lish?).  Being a working dad he doesn't do many bum changes, dressings, etc and it was chaos.  Made me look skilled.  And yes, DS started with that sticking his legs straight out forcing himself into standing and it ended up taking both of us to sort of drop him into his clothes.  Many a night DH comes down from bathtime with DS in various states of half-dressedness....

I just never thought it would get any worse....I can't change poop standing up!!

ACK!

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 02:08:20 am »
Well this isn't something I normally do but DS woke up in the middle of the night with a soaked nappy. He refused to stay put put my foot on his chest. I was sitting so my feet are normally around area of his head so I just bent my knee and put my foot up on his chest.

I change him on the floor after putting a blanket down. (I had a runaway poo once in the middle of the night and that's not something I want to repeat. There is nothing grosser and funnier (to others) than feeling around in the dark for a runaway poo, hoping you find it but hoping you don't)

Offline Catzsz

• Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:36 am »
Duct tape and a head lock does it for us.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:23 am »
Duct tape and a head lock does it for us.

You could sell those contraptions!

Offline Catzsz

• Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 15:34:22 pm »
I wont have it said we arnt gifted and innovative on this site

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 15:39:47 pm »
(I had a runaway poo once in the middle of the night and that's not something I want to repeat. There is nothing grosser and funnier (to others) than feeling around in the dark for a runaway poo, hoping you find it but hoping you don't)

ROFL ;D ;D

Love the avatar too - little mite looks proud of the runaway poo!!

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 01:12:37 am »
Thank you.

I scrubbed my hands like there was no tomorrow and when I got back in bed my husband woke up and held my hand (very cheesy/corny but we sometimes sleep holding hands  :-[ ) well he asked what took so long and I told him. He took his hand out of mine and gave me a "OMG that is the grossest thing ever" look then looked at his hand. As though I would go back to bed with a dirty hand!!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 03:16:44 am »
Mashi!!  Your post made me laugh.  Sounds like BOTH my lo's and they are SOOOO strong, just yours!!

I've found making crazy noises, singing etc has helped....a little!!
 :-\ :-\ :-\

Judy

Offline Mashi

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 08:02:48 am »
ROFLMAO!  Yes, we have had runaway poop here too, fortunately not at night!  Took of the nappy and it rolled right out.  Was soooo tempted to just fasten the nappy right back on!

We also have issues with DS wanting to play with his willy.  He YANKS that thing sooooooooo hard! (Oh the things DH says about that...... ::) )  But he always seems to do it after a nice soft squidgy poop.  And then as I am trying to wipe his hand, he flips.  And starts crawling. We then have poop on hands, carpet, bum, willy, changing mat, feet......

Offline bennysmama

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:08 am »
Floor-level changing, favourite bathtime toy, singing and....never letting DS get enough leverage to flip. 

He likes to brace a leg against my chest/face/hand.    So, if I hold both legs, he uses my hands like a fulcrum :o ::)    The trick is to make sure his legs stay gently bent and to keep moving.  Needless to add, this is A LOT easier said than done.  :P

Does anyone else have perfect, precision aim for getting one foot free and STRAIGHT INTO the poopy nappy?     

Offline Mashi

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 08:46:08 am »

Does anyone else have perfect, precision aim for getting one foot free and STRAIGHT INTO the poopy nappy?    

Yes - but only when it's a wet sloppy poop!