Author Topic: 7mo dropping catnap  (Read 766 times)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« on: March 31, 2009, 16:54:18 pm »
Hi!  For a few weeks now we've been trying to increase our A times to get to a point where we don't need the catnap anymore.  We're not quite there yet, still usually doing 2.5hrs A time in the morning and 3hrs in the afternoon, and the naps aren't as great as I'd like, 1.5hrs in the morning, and anywhere from 45mins-1.5hrs in the afternoon.  However, DS flat out refuses the catnap, I can't even APOP one in, he just won't have it.  Therefore he's been doing anywhere from 3.5-5+hrs A time before bed.  Luckily he's been good and goes down without a fuss, but we have had more NWs and EWs as a result.

Any tips on how I can make this transition smoother?
Thanks!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 17:04:24 pm »
What we did on those days was put DS to bed earlier.  Strangely, it rarely made him wake earlier, and he just did 12.5 hour nights which made up for the bit of day sleep he had lost. 

The other thing I would do when DS was going through that "I need a nap but unless you tape my eyelids shut I'm not taking one" phase was take him out for a walk at catnap time and that way even if he didn't sleep, he was reclined and zoned out, not being stimulated, so it was calm, quiet, relaxing A time.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 17:22:02 pm »
Thanks!  I was thinking a walk would be a good idea at that time, he'd never sleep in the stroller anymore but it is a good way to relax him. 

What was an 'earlier' bedtime for you?  DS usually goes to bed between 7-7:30, so should I try for 6:30 or does it depend completely on what time he wakes from his afternoon nap.  I just put him down for his afternoon nap at 1:15, and I would hope he sleeps 1.5hrs, but even until 2:30 would be good for him.  So does that mean bedtime would be at 5:30?  That seems a little too early, or is that the best time??
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012