Author Topic: taking Abbi to the docs to sort her tummy today  (Read 4669 times)

Offline ~emmalou~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
taking Abbi to the docs to sort her tummy today
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:06:25 am »
Abbi is mpi, and has been milk free since 3 months old. She has never ever had a solid poo even milk and soy free. Dietician wasn't too concerned as she was growing ok and also was not in pain. Recently however, she Is in pain, she's going to the toilet more and more and its completely runny, and bits of indigested food in the poop too. She is also waking at night screaming and clutching her stomach and having a runny poo.this happens in the day too. Its happening more and more so have decided we must get it sorted once and for all. I have a feeling they will say to try wheat free. Am panicking at the cost as we struggle to feed ourselves normally due to dhs hours going down at work, and I know this kind of food is expensive! I am also getting a gi referral as really feel we need to find out why her bowels are so messed up tbh! I know they mentioned an ultrasound previously, and hate the idea of putting her through all these tests and stuff but it will be worth it right? Wish my baby didn't have a tummy like me, wish I didn't have to keep changing her clothes cause of the nasty poop she has. Anyone been here and what did the docs do? Thanks ladies, we go at 3pm x
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: taking Abbi to the docs to sort her tummy today
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:44:53 am »
Just sending some huge hugs to you and Abbi {{{{{}}}}} Hope they can help her. If they suggest wheat free, make sure they get you in with a kiddy dietician to ive you advice on what to give. They canprobably also help with inexpensive options. Hope it goes well!
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:58:25 pm »
If they get you to try wheat free and it does improve Abbi' symptoms then ask your gp if you can get gluten free products on prescription. Our gp is happy to prescribe them for James although he did have a letter from the dietician to request this before I asked. I am sure a gp can prescibe gluten free products without the request from another professional though.

I wonder if Abbi could be coeliac, it might be worth investigating if a gluten free diet helps. It certainly would mean that Abbi would be ebtitled to gluten free food on prescription. It could of course be a wheat intollerance or it might not be related to wheat at all. It is so hard when you don't know what is causing the issues. My son has horrible bowel movements and stomach cramps if he eats wheat or oats but he is also IGE positive to these foods. James did have the blood test to test for coeliac but he had already been gluten free (due to eczema flares) for over 6 months. At the time we were not aware that James neded to have gluten in his diet and unfortunately the consultant who had James tested had not realised that the dietician had put James on a gluten free diet. At the moment we have decided not to do further tests as Jaames already has a severe food aversion and adding gluten back into his diet at the moment could make it worse.

I hope the gp gives Abbi the referals she needs to help get to the bottom of this as quickly as possibly.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline ~emmalou~

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 15:10:22 pm »
Thanks Vic, so sweet mwah! Thanks as always for your good info Kelly, your poor james, must have been such a rough ride! We went to the app and firstly, we are to do a stool sample to test for various things, and he's also given us something to relax her bowels, a medication, will come back later with the name of it x x hoping this can help a little to ease the cramps she gets. Once we have the stool results back we will go from there x

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

tuta

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 15:48:19 pm »
Emma I don't have any experience but I just wanted to send Abbi a big  :-* I hope the meds give her some relief and fingers crossed you get a diagnosis soon so you can get her some relief

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 16:13:25 pm »
{{hugs}} hun... for you & Abbi.  :-*  Hopefully these non-invasive tests will tell the docs exactly what they need to know so they can help her. 

You mentioned an u/s...  Please don't be worried about that.  Isaac has had several (for kidneys), and it's not traumatic or invasive for them at all.  The "worst" part is getting them to lie still, and at her age, she should be able to be cooperative.  It really is like us getting them when we're pg.  No anesthetic, sedative, anything.  :-*  Ask if you have any questions.  :)
Candice

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 16:42:31 pm »
Yep, my DS has had a few ultrasounds as well. They even make sure to warm the gel before hand so it's not cold on lovely soft baby skin!  Abbi will be fine!  Fingers crossed all goes well.

Offline ~emmalou~

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 16:58:09 pm »
Aw thanks everyone you are so kind! Glad the ultrasound is just like what we would have, this isn't in the immediate future though as doctor also said to try a wheat free diet for a fortnight and see what happens so may start that next week after I have stocked up, wow the shopping budget is gonna be tight after getting it! X

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

Offline jobi

• VBACing, homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth nappying, babywearing mum to 6...
  • Showing Appreciation 241
  • MUFC-The religion...
    • Ndi
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 17:41:55 pm »
(((((((((hugs)))))))))))) for Abbi and you :-*
Jo  
Mum to
Jordan-28-04-97
Marc Alex-30-06-02
Jamie- 06-05-04
And Shelby- 14-07-07
And now Brandon and Aimee!
Married to kev the invisible!!

Crazy? Moi? Of course!!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 19:19:19 pm »
It might be easier if you go for alternatives rather than a replacement for foods that contain wheat. We found that the gluten free pasta was not too badly priced depending on which brand we bought. Orgran seemed to be reasonable. The bread is really expensive and to be honest we have tried a few diferent ones and they all tasted terrible. We now don't even bother, James enjoys Mrs Crimbles corn crackers instead. They taste like very slightly salted popcorn. James has just started trying the corn pasta aswell and seems to like it but will not have it with a sauce but thats another story.

What kind of meals does Abbi normally eat? I may be able to give you some ideas that will not cost a fortune.

Kelly

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 19:30:29 pm »
Rice cakes are a good alternative too I think. I have done wheat free for myself as had an intolerance, and I agree the gluten free bread is not nice. Oat crackers are good too. I used to get rice noodles instead of spaghetti, and use more rice with food that I would normally use pasta. You can use cornflour in cooking instead of wheat, and there is planty of wheat free cereals too. It *can* get very expensive if you get the stuff that's glutenfree, but if it's just wheat and not totally gluten free she's trying then these other alternatives are a cheaper option. Was for me anyway.
Hope the tests give some clue on what can be done to help her, poor little chicken!
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:01:03 am »
Yes, and you may find that although the gluten-free food is expensive, the fact that you are cutting so many other things out of her diet balances out the cost, iykwim.  Yes, you may buy a packet of gluten free biscuits for instance, but she'll only have one now and again and that doesn't work out any more expensive than a pack of regular biscuits that she might eat more frequently.

We do Bob the Builder pasta here (mainly because DH gets groceries, I'm sure there are adult kinds....... ::) ) and I think he said the bag was 1.89 which IS quite expensive for pasta, but the shapes swell up quite big and if it's only Abbi eating it, then she won't need much. It's strictly rice flour and corn flour - labelled as dairy, egg, gluten and soy free.  Just from our regular Tesco.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 07:20:24 am »
James actually likes the bob the builder pasta I think it is the novelty of it though. The bags of adult pasta are slightly better value. Pasta is certainly something you can get on prescription though if Abbi has to remain wheat free. Now that James is eating pasta we are going to get that on presccription again. The orgran pasta is available on prescription which is a good quality brand.

Kelly

Offline ~emmalou~

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:24:31 am »
Thanks ladies for all your ideas and help. Abbi went seven times yesterday, all sloppy and very mucousy. I had to bath her one time as it had run down her leg and gone all up her back somehow. Last night at ten o clock, she suddenly screamed her head off so high pitched. I ran up the stairs and she was doubled over screaming, and started saying tummy sore tummy sore and making me put my hand on it and stroke it. Took a little while to calm her down and felt so sorry for her! Her anti spasmodic prescription should be ready today so hopefully that will ease the cramps. Am going to go and buy some wheat free bits tomorrow, and go from there. If it is wheat causing the problem that's fine I will go back to the docs and see what I can get on prescription. Its such a shame, she's got a nasty rash on her bum again the poor baby! X

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

tuta

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 08:08:39 am »
 :'( poor little babe, I hope the meds help her out  :-*