Author Topic: 45 minute waking question  (Read 804 times)

Offline cheryls

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 06, 2009, 20:38:35 pm »
My LO was 6 weeks old on Saturday and I have been working on EASY since Day 1 at home. I used it with my older children and am a big believer and fan of the method. Overall, we have done really well and her days are fairly predictable.  Here's my situation that I am struggling with and would love advice/experience.

At times, I see her wake at the 45 minute mark during her naps on the video monitor. Many times, she is able to go back to sleep on her own after briefly stirring or even opening up her eyes for a little bit. Other times, she lays there and eventually ends up crying and is not able to go to sleep on her own. On these occasions, I have had almost zero luck getting her back to sleep with sh/pat.  She usually goes to sleep on her own at the beginning of her naps without any intervention from me...I hardly ever have to assist her so I know she is able to go to sleep independently. When I do need to assist, I generally have to pick her up to calm her with pat/sh and then put her back down and only have to do a slight amount of pat/sh, if any when she is back in the crib.  She likes to give a mantra cry or two and some sqirming sometimes when she is settling.

Here's my question:

When I see her wake on the  monitor, do you think I should go up immediately and sh/pat regardless if I know whether or not she is going to be able to go back to sleep without any assistance or should I wait it out until she starts crying and is not going to go back without assistance (and in the past I haven't been able to go back at all once she gets so woken up)? Or should I do something else entirely? 

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!

Cheryl

Offline bennysmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
Re: 45 minute waking question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 21:17:45 pm »
Hi cheryls,

Have you tried going in at the 35 min mark and holding through the jolt and/or being ready in place to soothe DD back to sleep?     I never had much luck with that, but it seems to work for quite a few people. 

Does DD always wake up at the 45 min mark?  Do you swaddle? 

xx
Emma

Offline cheryls

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 21:23:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Emma..

No, she doesn't always wake at the 45 minute mark, sometimes you can just see her stir a little and others I don't even notice her going from one sleep cycle to another. I'm just worried it is going to become a problem, so I'm trying to be proactive.

That's a good idea to go in a little before the 45 minute mark and be there with even just a hand to settle in case she needs it. I might try that as often as I can. I have two older children so it might prove to be difficult, but I might give it a try this week while we are all home alot.

There have been a handful of times when she has slept next to me in the early morning in our bed and when she stirs a little, a hand on the chest totally settles her and she doesn't wake at all.

Thanks!

Offline bennysmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
Re: 45 minute waking question
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 21:32:35 pm »
Good luck and ((hugs)) :)