Author Topic: diagnosed this morning with Cows milk protein intolerance  (Read 1887 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
diagnosed this morning with Cows milk protein intolerance
« on: April 07, 2009, 06:44:42 am »
and now having Pepti Junior, hes finally eating and not crying or fussing when being fed! (well hes had one bottle of it so far and it was the easiest bottle fed ive ever had with him!) however he did wake up after his feed with three red splotches on his face and looked like he was punched in the eye. Does anyone have any experience with Pepti Junior? I know there are very very rare reactions to it but i cant find what they are anywhere and i didnt even think to ask at the hospital (in my sleepless haze!) i am happy that i seem to have my boy back to normal again but i just want to make sure these red spots arent a reaction at all, i dont think he scratched himself as they dont look like scratchmarks and he sleeps swaddled

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: diagnosed this morning with Cows milk protein intolerance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:04:26 am »
It could be a reaction as it is technically possible to react to anything. I have just had a look on the net at pepti junior ant it is a  hydrolysed formula which means it still contains milk protein but it is broken down to make it easier to digest. Many babies can tolerate formulas like these when they are mpi but not all. My ds can't handle these formulas and has to have neocate which is an elemental formula and is completely dairy free.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:05:52 am »
My son has had three tiny marks in the corner of his eye since he started on Nutramigen.  At first looks like scratch marks, but you get close and realise they aren't scratches. I have never thought of it as being connected to the milk, for some reason, as they don't give him discomfort and they aren't spreading.

Perhaps a trip to the GP, as usual with photos in case they aren't visible when you go, and notes about when you notice them appearing and/or disappearing.  Always best to have them checked out!

And, happy that he's eating well for you!

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:11:30 am »
hmm thats a good idea, i will write it down and take photos, the health nurse from the hospital is ringing me on thursday to check on how he is doing so i will mention them to her and anything else that comes up from it.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:23:27 am »
Taking photos is a good idea. t least they can see you are not imagining it then and will not just dismiss it as the medical profession often do in cases like this.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:24:56 am »
well the marks were gone by the time he woke up,however he has been gagging on something. in the last hour he kinda vomited but nothing came up and he kept swallowing and looking like he was choking a little bit, one point he went very red in the face while this happened. This happened about 5 times in the hour, he looked a bit distraught while it was happening but he just brought up lots of saliva. Not sure whats going on here, dont want him to choke though

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 08:59:13 am »
Is he teething?  My DS did that a LOT in the weeks while his first teeth were shifting and getting ready to come up - like the excess saliva he was producing was causing him to gag, choke and spit up a LOT.

Just an idea....?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:11:16 am »
at 11 weeks old? i checked his mouth but couldnt see or feel anything

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 18:40:12 pm »
How are things now? If you are in the UK I would give nhs direct a ring and see what they thought. I think in young babies its best to over cautious sometimes.

Kelly