Author Topic: Tips for keeping spirited 8 mo old still during bum changes?  (Read 5319 times)

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 192
Re: Tips for keeping spirited 8 mo old still during bum changes?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 23:35:28 pm »
Mashi

They are so alike... my DS can flip regardless of whether I'm holding him at the top or the feet. He's made of some special bendy super strong stuff.

* We have a mobile hanging from the ceiling. Tropical fish that I spin around.
 * I keep a stash of a wide variety of toys right next to him on his changing table. If he already has a toy in hand, that comes too. Medicine spoons work well.
 * Eye contact
 * Singing. We have a change your nappy song that works for a change or two. I will break out into the most awful random singing of anything for comic effect too. I try my hand at Opera, any musicals, boombox, rapping, anything... even just really random notes or squeaks. DS loves - at the mo - me trying to get the highest note possible and then the lowest. Most days it's like opera warm-ups. Oh and Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and Frankie GTH's Power of Love, sung with mind blowing gusto and exaggeration work well for us everytime. I'd like to add that I cannot sing and it is truly awful. I fear for anyone on our baby monitor frequency.
 * A no rolling policy. He tries his luck for a day or so at least once a week. But it's a no, not ever ever ever.
 * Silly faces
 * Animal noises
 * Blowing raspberries on his belly (hard when his rear is a mess and stinks...)
 * Rolling tongues or brrrinng my lips

Has he started trying to demand that all dressing and nappies are changed while standing up yet?

Charlotte

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 06:57:13 am »
Has he started trying to demand that all dressing and nappies are changed while standing up yet?

Charlotte

Ugh - he's well on his way.  Saturday, DH was attempting to put a pair of overalls on him (I think he calls them dungarees in UK-lish?).  Being a working dad he doesn't do many bum changes, dressings, etc and it was chaos.  Made me look skilled.  And yes, DS started with that sticking his legs straight out forcing himself into standing and it ended up taking both of us to sort of drop him into his clothes.  Many a night DH comes down from bathtime with DS in various states of half-dressedness....

I just never thought it would get any worse....I can't change poop standing up!!

ACK!

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 02:08:20 am »
Well this isn't something I normally do but DS woke up in the middle of the night with a soaked nappy. He refused to stay put put my foot on his chest. I was sitting so my feet are normally around area of his head so I just bent my knee and put my foot up on his chest.

I change him on the floor after putting a blanket down. (I had a runaway poo once in the middle of the night and that's not something I want to repeat. There is nothing grosser and funnier (to others) than feeling around in the dark for a runaway poo, hoping you find it but hoping you don't)

Offline Catzsz

• Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:36 am »
Duct tape and a head lock does it for us.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:23 am »
Duct tape and a head lock does it for us.

You could sell those contraptions!

Offline Catzsz

• Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 15:34:22 pm »
I wont have it said we arnt gifted and innovative on this site

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 15:39:47 pm »
(I had a runaway poo once in the middle of the night and that's not something I want to repeat. There is nothing grosser and funnier (to others) than feeling around in the dark for a runaway poo, hoping you find it but hoping you don't)

ROFL ;D ;D

Love the avatar too - little mite looks proud of the runaway poo!!

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 01:12:37 am »
Thank you.

I scrubbed my hands like there was no tomorrow and when I got back in bed my husband woke up and held my hand (very cheesy/corny but we sometimes sleep holding hands  :-[ ) well he asked what took so long and I told him. He took his hand out of mine and gave me a "OMG that is the grossest thing ever" look then looked at his hand. As though I would go back to bed with a dirty hand!!

Offline TDR'smom

• Bottle Feeding
  • Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 03:16:44 am »
Mashi!!  Your post made me laugh.  Sounds like BOTH my lo's and they are SOOOO strong, just yours!!

I've found making crazy noises, singing etc has helped....a little!!
 :-\ :-\ :-\

Judy

Offline Mashi

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 08:02:48 am »
ROFLMAO!  Yes, we have had runaway poop here too, fortunately not at night!  Took of the nappy and it rolled right out.  Was soooo tempted to just fasten the nappy right back on!

We also have issues with DS wanting to play with his willy.  He YANKS that thing sooooooooo hard! (Oh the things DH says about that...... ::) )  But he always seems to do it after a nice soft squidgy poop.  And then as I am trying to wipe his hand, he flips.  And starts crawling. We then have poop on hands, carpet, bum, willy, changing mat, feet......

Offline bennysmama

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:08 am »
Floor-level changing, favourite bathtime toy, singing and....never letting DS get enough leverage to flip. 

He likes to brace a leg against my chest/face/hand.    So, if I hold both legs, he uses my hands like a fulcrum :o ::)    The trick is to make sure his legs stay gently bent and to keep moving.  Needless to add, this is A LOT easier said than done.  :P

Does anyone else have perfect, precision aim for getting one foot free and STRAIGHT INTO the poopy nappy?     

Offline Mashi

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 08:46:08 am »

Does anyone else have perfect, precision aim for getting one foot free and STRAIGHT INTO the poopy nappy?    

Yes - but only when it's a wet sloppy poop!