Author Topic: Quinoa breakfast cereal - need recipe  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« on: April 10, 2009, 18:31:53 pm »
In my desperation to find a nice warm breakfast cereal for DS that is gluten free I am going to try quinoa this week.

The thing is, I don't have 30 minutes in the morning to spend making it up fresh.  Anyone know of a way I can cook it and put in the fridge to keep for a day or two? I'm not thrilled doing that with formula....but one of the reasons I am doing it is to up his milk intake in the day and so I don't want to make it with water.

Does anyone have a good breakfast quinoa recipe before I send DH on a mad hunt around the supermarket tomorrow? (You and I know it will be easy to find, but when DH started doing the grocery shopping, I had to draw pictures of apples and carrots so that he knew what to look for... ::)  )

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: Quinoa breakfast cereal - need recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 18:40:11 pm »
nice catch DH is ;)
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 18:55:24 pm »
My uncle is a Celiac and he does a quinoa porridge in the crock pot and then keeps it in the fridge for a couple mornings breakfast. I don't have his recipe.  Do you have a slow cooker?  I found this:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/556262

PS. If you have any leftover DH and I make a lovely quinoa salad with chopped parsley, tomato, onion, garlic, lemon and olive oil and add some beans and top on top of a mixed salad of rocket etc...

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 19:26:20 pm »
love your Avatar A, are thsoe birdies sitting on n's back?
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline bennysmama

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 19:34:00 pm »
According to one of my recipe books, you can soak quinoa overnight, which means that muesli ought to work:

In a bowl combine:

3 tbsps quinoa
A few sultanas / little bit of dried apricot / dried fruit of choice
Some grated apple or pear
Teaspoon or so of ground almonds if you are happy to use them
At least 6 tbsps HOT milk or formula or juice (enough fluid to cover the quinoa and other stuff).
Leave overnight in a bowl with a lid - a plastic box is ideal.
In the morning, you can loosen with a little more milk or formula and serve warm or cold.  

I use oats for muesli, but quinoa *should* work just fine too.  If you're using oats, the added milk/juice can be cold.  

DS likes it best with milk, chopped dates and grated apple.   You can make up enough for about 3 days worth in one batch, just adjust the quantities.  

HTH  

Offline Mashi

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 19:48:01 pm »
Oh that sounds okay, maybe I can just make it with hot water and let it sit over night and then add some formula in the mornings.   I didn't realise that it could be eaten "uncooked" sort of just having sat to soak, so that is easier than I thought. Thanks!

Offline bennysmama

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 20:40:21 pm »
No prob. 

I suspect the two methods probably produce different textures; so if you don't like the texture of the soaked grain but like the idea of the muesli, you could always use the same recipe but substitute pre-boiled quinoa.

Final suggestion (and I know for a fact this works) you could boil up a batch of quinoa as if it were rice, ie double quantity of water to grain, boil for 20 mins.  Store that batch in an airtight container.  Then add it to hot formula or milk in the morning and heat in pan.   A bit easier than measuring and boiling grains first thing in the morning and it solves your worry about formula hanging round in the fridge. 

FWIW, I know you can store the boiled grain without any change in flavour thanks to trying the Gillian McKeith diet a few years ago.  Long story.  (and still can't face aduki beans...)

xx
Em
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 21:10:40 pm by bennysmama »

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 02:02:24 am »
I use quinoa for Spencer and do it just like rice...make enough for a couple of days at a time and add formula and fruit in the am to smooth it out a bit...it's tasty stuff, poor girl loses a bit of her breakfast to me umm, sampling it, though ;D Oh and btw I send my DH to the store with pics of what I need on the camera, so he can never get the wrong thing...

Heidi
Heidi

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 19:23:59 pm »
Oh and btw I send my DH to the store with pics of what I need on the camera, so he can never get the wrong thing...

I just love this idea!!

Offline Mashi

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 19:26:33 pm »
I've still not tried the quinoa for breakfast (I went with millet, but DS hated it, so maybe quinoa this week!)

I did do a quinoa meal for dinner though - mixed in pureed red pepper, zucchini (courgette) and some mushy corn. He loved it! Also mixed some quinoa into scrambled eggs and it went over a treat!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 20:56:27 pm »
Oh and btw I send my DH to the store with pics of what I need on the camera, so he can never get the wrong thing...

I just love this idea!!

It worked really well...except that he almost lost the camera  ::).

Someone had suggested trying millet, but I could only find the quinoa...I'll have to try it with dinner too, sounds like it went over well!
Heidi

Offline bennysmama

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 21:00:05 pm »
It worked really well...except that he almost lost the camera  ::).

ROTFLMAO!!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Crispy Chick

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 08:55:01 am »
Hi

I am in the Uk and buy Plum's super baby porridge - this is based on quinoa, but has 3 other grains in it.  i am pretty sure it is gluten free though as i have been avoiding wheat with LO due to myself suffering from lots of allergies.

You can get it from larger boots stores - i mix it with a fruit puree and he loves it!!!
My little Tootsie all nice and Cutsie

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 03:23:21 am »
I think we're doing a quinoa recipe in my class in a few weeks...after I get it I'll post it for you!! :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012