Author Topic: Can ds2 be fine on formula, but still have a dairy problem?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Hiya.  Ds2 is nearly 7mths and we've been blw-ing since he was 6mths.  He's on Aptamil First, has been since he was a few days old.  Until recently we hadn't noticed that he'd had a problem with his milk, other than reflux (which is controlled using meds).  But I'm wondering if he's got an allergy/intolerance to milk...and am confused as to whether this is possible when he's been using formula perfectly fine.

Basically, almost every time we've given him something with milk (a lick of ice cream, yoghurt, fromage frais) he's thrown up or had really disgusting nappies.  It's not happened every single time, but enough to get me wondering if there's a link.

What do you think?

scarlettsmom

Re: Can ds2 be fine on formula, but still have a dairy problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 20:24:10 pm »
Hi Sarah,

Hmmm - if he's fine w/the milk-based formula I would be surprised if there is a milk intolerance or allergy, but anything is possible (lots of help huh?).

I think since he is still very young and the digestive system is still pretty immature things like ice cream and yogurt are much harder to digest (the recommended age I believe it 9-ish months for yogurt/cheese, but that's here in US) so could just be he's not tolerating the less broken down milk proteins and it's just a matter of waiting a few months.  Also - in the ice cream there are other things - maybe the sugar, or if there was fruit or soy or a host of other things.

With those reactions I would lay off anything milk based until 9/10 months and then try again w/a teeny tiny bit and go from there. 

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 18:09:03 pm »
Hmmm, I thought they wouldn't be related.  I know what you mean about waiting until later to introduce yoghurt (the ice cream was a blip, and the world's tiniest taste).  But he's not really interested in his milk as much, now that we've introduced solids.  The yoghurt was to make up for the calcium he's dropped in his bottles.  But I'll leave it a little while longer before re-introducing it again.

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:45 am »
Is it possible that the formula is causing ds2's reflux but is controlable on the meds.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline sarah13h

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 18:59:09 pm »
Hmm, hadn't really thought about that.  Our paediatrician seemed to think that, because he's gaining weight nicely, the formula wasn't an issue.  But that was early on.

We seem him again next month and I'll ask about the possibility then.  I'm going to start keeping a diary of when we give milk products & any reactions, I think.  We've had to restart giving yoghurts again though, because ds2 is currently on a milk strike (we're hoping the antibiotics he's been prescribed for his ongoing temp do the trick).

Thank you!