Author Topic: 19 month old afaid of bugs??  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Jann

• Be Well
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Little Monkey
19 month old afaid of bugs??
« on: May 12, 2009, 16:04:16 pm »
We have been spending alot of time outside since the weather has been nice and to my surprise lo is afraid of flies, spiders and also fuzz in the house.  What is up with that and how can I make him feel safe around bugs.  I never freaked when I saw bugs in the house so it doesn`t come from me.  When would would find a spider in the house I would trap it and set it outside, the flies on the other hand I would kill with a fly swatter.

So what can I do

Janick

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: 19 month old afaid of bugs??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 16:35:29 pm »
hard one Janick and I am not sure, but hpw about readinghim a few bug stories so he gets use dto bugs? I cook up stories for DS all teh time, and have 2 creatures - Antsy Ant and Bugsy Boo who are quite a theme...and make shim like bugs.

Also try nursery rhymes like Insy Winsy Spider etc to get him use dto then bugs and spiders as concepts...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Jann

• Be Well
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 16:41:43 pm »
I have been reading him a wonderfully illistrated itsy bitsy spider book and he loves it.  I guess I need to make light of the situation rather than hurry and kill the fly that is in the bathroom while he is bathing.

thanks for the tip

Janick

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 16:46:22 pm »
also, maybe when you guys see a real spider sing the nursery rhyme so he associates the spider with the one in the book.

And like you say maybe avoid swatting the fly in his presence, he might be feeling the swatting as violent and reading fear into the situation.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Jann

• Be Well
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 23:11:34 pm »
thanks again.

Janick

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 18:04:17 pm »
I agree with Mukta, my dd is obsessed with bugs and spiders and I think it has something to do with a book of bugs she has and also her love of the itsy bitsy song. Another good idea may be to watch the those short programmes called Miníscule where they follow litle stories of insects, Leorah has seen them on danish TV so maybe that is why she likes them, we have to stop everytime we see snail and put it away from the pavement where they can get "crunched"  ;D

Here is a clip off Youtube of Miniscule, it is fabulous :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdbrZDAOg9Q&feature=related
Katt

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 01:41:15 am »
the bug books are a great idea.  My 2 are older, 5 and 3 and are both fascinated by bugs except for spiders, flies and bees.  I try to explain to them the good things the bugs do, like bees help flowers and they make honey, but not to bother them because they are scared of you because you are so much bigger.  so they may sting you if you bother them.  I also encourage them to be bug helpers.  if they see a bug inside, tell me and we can put them outside so it can find its family.  or if we are outside and a bug is on the sidewalk move it to a tree or the grass so no one steps on it accidentally.

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:59:03 pm »
ditto we are bug helpers - well DS and I are ..can't say the same about DH!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 13:06:45 pm »
Oscar was terrified of bugs and all creepy crawlies at 14-18 mths, his first "walking" summer....
Then last year we started singing a song "Please don't squish me"
 - here's the music
http://www.lambethmusic.co.uk/mp3s/Infant%20Singing%20Scores%2008/please%20don't%20squish%20me%20.pdf

and he became a bug lover.

this year I have problems with moths (the type that live in cupboards, not the clothes eating ones) and we have two stickies inside our cupboard doors....he has now become an investigaor into how many new ones we have caught each morning. I now have to explain to him that there are good and bad minibeasts and some beasts do both good and bad (like the bees, make his delicious honey but can also sting). He now knows a good from a bad - loves worms, ladybirds, spiders but hates mosquitos etc...

I definately recommend the song....even when they can't sing the words they can take part in the squsih squash part....

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 13:50:49 pm »
Shivi,

I can't read music and could not find an audio of it anywhere....any idea if it exists??

thanks!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 17:51:54 pm »
http://www.enjoymuzic.com/acatalog/info_9781901980684.html

this is the book and CD set I have Mutka....so worth the money....so so many fab songs!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 17:58:03 pm »
Thanks Shivi thats great!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Jann

• Be Well
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 00:31:30 am »
thanks alot for all those great suggestions.  We've already named a fly frank, he's been living in our house for a couple of days now and he is very happy to see him.  He has tried to kiss and feed him milk.  We are def on the right track.

janick

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 04:44:30 am »
http://www.enjoymuzic.com/acatalog/info_9781901980684.html

this is the book and CD set I have Mutka....so worth the money....so so many fab songs!

Leorah would love that! She is crazy about bugs! The other day we were in the £ type shop and told her she can choose a present and she bypassed all the pink fluff and glitter and spent ages deciding betweena tarantula and a jar of bugs!The jar of bugs one and I keep finding them and they creep me out! She shares her food with the fly and grasshopper!
Katt