Author Topic: Should I keep trying to settle him?  (Read 871 times)

Offline buck15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 16, 2009, 12:47:28 pm »
My DS keeps waking up after a very short nap.  Should I keep trying to settle him?  Usually I try for about 40 mins but it hasn't worked yet.  Should I try for a little longer?

If I can't get him calm, I take him out of the room and go back for a nap a little later.  But he is just so tired and cranky. 

This is so frustrating!!  When does it get better?  We are now in day 8.

Offline mokey_cat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 13:18:36 pm »
Hi!!  How old is your LO?  How long does he normally sleep before you have to resettle?  Im not sure about everyone else but if my LO sleeps 40/45 mins and then wakes, I try to extend for 20 minutes and if she does not settle, I get her up and have a shorter A time.  I had to start doing this for my own sanity as sometimes I could spend ages trying to get her back to sleep so I gave myself a time limit.  :P

X

Offline buck15

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 13:36:37 pm »
He will be 5 months old next week.  I'm really struggling to get his schedule straight.  His nap lengths are a little random.  They can be 20, 30 or 45 mins.  Like you, I am getting a little tired of trying to settle him when he wakes up.  He is just so tired.  I wish I could get him to finally take a nap longer than 45 mins.

Offline mokey_cat

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 13:57:39 pm »
I always find 20 min naps happen when I leave DD too early so she does not get into a deep sleep.  Does your LO fall asleep independently?  There is a big jolt at 20 mins which may be waking him up.  Have you tried staying with him for the full 20 mins and shhpatting? 

For us 30 min naps ALWAYS meant OT and 45 min naps - they are anyones guess really.  We went through short naps from 2-4.5 months when she learned to transition properly.  Have you tried helping him through the jolts?  I would maybe spend a few days in with him at each nap and apply pressure to him so he does not 'jolt' awake.  This really helped us and I did not mind spending time doing it as it was sooooo much preferable that when DD was OT!!

X

Offline buck15

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 14:44:15 pm »
Sometimes he falls asleep by himself, sometimes he needs help.  I'm just so tired and frustrated. I'm about to give up.  This is just too hard.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Should I keep trying to settle him?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 14:56:02 pm »
Nap extension IS hard. Some ladies have success with various techniques - holding through the jolts/ W2S/ shhhptt or PUPD. Personally I always had very limited success - I don't know if that is because of DS personality or mine.

What I do now is try for 15 mins max. If no success then I get him up and just shorten the next A time.

For me the key to a good nap is the right A time.

Oh and a VERY consistent wind down routine.