Author Topic: Toy rotation  (Read 1676 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Toy rotation
« on: May 19, 2009, 14:50:40 pm »
I've heard of rotating toya as a way of keeping your lo happier during A time. My DS is quite good at independent play and will sit of the floor grabbing and bashing things for quite a while really.

I'm just thinking it would be nice to try and structure things a bit more so he has his focus on one type of skill at a time. I know it will most likely turning into bashing, but if the toys are changing he may play a little longer. Its like we have run out of things to do by the end of the day.

Does anyone else do this? If so how have you decided to split them?

Finer motor skill toys eg activity toys, sacking toys eg blocks and cups

But then I am stuck!!

Offline emmas

• Showing Appreciation 45
Re: Toy rotation
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 19:26:30 pm »
I just had 3 boxes and swapped them over - I didn't break the toys into groups, just a random collection.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 21:41:06 pm »
I have so many boxes, but I split them into age related toys (I'm a childminder)

For children of Jacob's age I have stacking toys, toys with buttons, which have lights and make noises etc, rattly toys and ones that make noises when they are moved, toys with textures, soft toys, rubbery toys that they like to bite, and banging toys.  You could also let him have some pans and wooden spoons to make noises with.

I wouldn't put too many things out all at one time, just a couple and, depending on his movement abilities, dot them around the place too, so that he can try to reach them.  You should also be thining about walking toys for the next few months, as he will be pulling himself up at around a year old+ (some even sooner).  We have a lovely VTech activity toy which is on a detatchable wheeled trolley, it's good for all ages and when they start to pull themselves up it's great to help them learn to walk.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:40:21 am »
Mari - that is so helpful - exactly what was looking for - thank you.

I actually have the Vtech walker  :). He is knowhere near walking or pulling up yet but I either sit him near it or detach the electronic bit and he fiddles with the buttons.

Do you have any other recommendations for button/ electronic toys? This is a bit I have real trouble with as I see they as horrible large noisy things - but of course J loves them  :).

Might go to my local toy library and try and get some walky, standy things.

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 18:22:13 pm »
Toy libraries are brilliant. When you get fed up of them you can take them back!

There are so many different toys on the market which have buttons to press, smaller things that he can hold like toy mobile phones are good but also pull along phones are ok.  Try looking in ELC or Mothercare for ideas, but you might even find some in school fetes (plenty around now it's coming to the end of term)
Also, Little Touch Leappad is quite nice for when he gets a bit older.