Author Topic: Drinking bath water  (Read 2730 times)

Offline TRR

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Drinking bath water
« on: May 19, 2009, 18:08:15 pm »
Any suggestions on how to discourage stop my 14 month DD from drinking her bath water. I have tried saying no and taking away the items she drinks from, she turned around and started to just slurp the water from her hands or sticking her face into the tub and gulping. Is the best thing to do for now ignore and try to reason when a bit older?
Tracy
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman exist

Offline clh

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 226
Re: Drinking bath water
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 18:13:11 pm »
We continue to remind & distract.  ::)  They do grow out of it... J used to do it, but hasn't in a long time. 
Candice

Offline TRR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 19:07:17 pm »
Thanks Candice

I thought that was all I could do but was not sure if there was some tip that might help.

Tracy
The moment a child is born, the mother is also born.  She never existed before.  The woman exist

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 19:08:55 pm »
Maybe someone else will chime in who has had better luck than we have.  ;) 
Candice

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 19:13:21 pm »
I just let him drink! Right now his favourite bath toy is an old formula scoop, he practising using a 'spoon' to drink the bathwater! I figure what's the harm. He's having fun and we don't use any strong soaps, I can't see that there's anything in there going to make him sick.

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:49:51 am »
LOL. This topic comes up from time to time.  Who knew there were so many bath water drinkers?  Like Anna, I have given up on trying to get DD to stop.  It is more of a battle and if I remove scoop toys, she just sucks on the wash cloth or bends down and slurps it direct from the tub.  I think I might start giving her a sippy in the tub, b/c maybe one factor here is that she is actually thirsty.

Offline TRR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 22:01:11 pm »
Well glad to hear that I an not the only one with a DD who is so persistant. I have changed routine a bit play first than washing at least it will hopefully lessen the soap and shampoo intake, but as Anna said not like using lots of strong stuff anyway. I also figure it is getting her used to having water spashing on her face when scooping water up, ready for fun in the pool and lake this summer! And as Texo mentioned not worth the battle, why make a fun time into a frustrating one which it was starting to be. Thanks for the support!
Tracy

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 22:15:25 pm »
My LO is the same age and has a cup in the bath which he drinks from, I try and make sure he doesn't drink too much...but like you all, figure he is actually learning a good skill. We use J&J top to toe, so it's pretty mild.  I do try and stop him from drinking too much pool water when we go swimming though 'cause it can make them sick (chlorine)...

So funny that they all do the same things at the same age :) LOL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline bennysmama

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 21:03:34 pm »
Hi,  I have a bathwater-slurper too....  You're not alone!   Hugs xx

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 21:21:41 pm »
We have the same trouble here and I'm not getting very far with it either. He tries to drink bathwater out of any container, I say 'yuck yuck, not a drink' and move it away. He does it again, I move it / pour it away. I don't let him do it, but that doesn't stop him trying all the time.

He also shoves his face in the water and gulps - foam and all. He's done it a few times and not enjoyed the experience, but it hasn't put him off. He keeps doing it and I don't always get to stop him intime.

Worst thing for us is that he does this during his entire swimming lesson. So he's constantly putting his face in the water to gulp the water. The teacher keeps warning me that he'll get a bad tummy from this. I say no, stop him, but not sure what else I can do.

Babes.  ::) At least it's less grubby that pulling his widger off constantly. He's already started putting his hand down his trousers to see if he can wangle it into his nappy. Not a great habit when I'm changing his nappy... so could be worse  ;D

Offline bennysmama

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 22:05:08 pm »
Worst thing for us is that he does this during his entire swimming lesson. So he's constantly putting his face in the water to gulp the water. The teacher keeps warning me that he'll get a bad tummy from this. I say no, stop him, but not sure what else I can do.

Lol, DS too!!  I think he must have a cast iron tummy because he seems able to cope with about half a pool full of chlorinated water with no problem...

Offline flutie

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:03 am »
Hi there,
When DS was drinking his water, we taught him how to blow bubbles in the water instead...then whenever his mouth touched the bath water...he blew bubbles instead of drinking.
Lisa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 02:20:46 am »
WE've got a bubble blower that turned into a bath water drinker- ah well! I just let him do it, unless he's peed in the water. LOL.
Sometimes he prefers a shower and then it's a non issue!
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 03:42:15 am »
Maren always did this, Hayden still does.  It wasn't until recently when I explained to Maren (probably for the 100th time, but this time she got it!) that when we have a bath we're washing the dirt and germs off our bodies, plus we're using soaps and shampoo that aren't meant to be drunk.  Now when Hayden starts to drink the water, Maren tries to get her to stop because, "Ewwww, that's gross!!"  ::) 
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline TRR

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 14:49:31 pm »
The bubble blowing idea I thought was a good one except I think that is how we sarted drinking the tub in the first place. We were learning to blow bubbles at swimming lessons and shortly after wards the gulping started. I am still trying to get DD to blow not drink. She has started to blow on items out of the tub instead of sucking so maybe on our way. Kids are so funny! I can not remember smiling and laughing so much before she came in to our lives. Not that we didn't we just seem to do it all the time now.
Tracy