Author Topic: 10mo turbo-charged baby boy!!  (Read 2015 times)

Offline bennysmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 39
10mo turbo-charged baby boy!!
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:11:55 am »
Overnight some time last week, DS learned that he could kneel up and then pull himself upright on furniture.   As I type, he's using the TV bench as a climbing frame. 

Anyway, my question:  I'm trying very hard not to follow him round like a human scoop in case he topples, but....argh.  What do you do? 

xxx

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:00:53 am »
When I saw the title of this post I thought "Who is writing about MY boy!?"  Then saw it was you and had a giggle - I think our boys are a lot alike!  :P

My DS learned this about 2 weeks ago, and learned it FAST. One day he put his hands in mine and grunted with all of his strength to get himself to standing, and about three goes of that and he was instantly up, no struggle or anything.  24 hours later it was the sofa, and then that's that - he can't see something and NOT pull himself up on it!   ::)

The first few days, maybe a week, he was very unsteady and unstable when he got to standing up, and a bit scared even.  I did stand with him, held him up, hovered behind him, etc ALL DAY.  Driving me mad.  :-\  I'd say within a week or so he is now comfortable and stable standing on his own, so I don't hover any more. I also tried to teach him to fall, or to at least not be as upset when he does fall, so that has helped.  I do worry that when he is using the coffee table that he will fall and knock his chin on the table and bite his tongue, so I watch if he is there, but the sofa I just leave him.  He uses the washing machine as well, and is strong enough to pull the door open from locked, but as it takes a good pull, he ends up hitting himself in the face with the washing machine door. So that's an ongoing battle for us.

This weekend I dragged the travel cot downstairs to use as a playpen so that he can go in there when I can't keep my eye on him the whole time I'm in the kitchen and can't deal with the washing machine issue.  Just spending a few days making the travel cot into a super fun game for him so that he doesn't think of it as punishment -- of BabyJail as DH calls it!

I'm hoping that it only goes on another couple of weeks before he is really stable and I can ease up.  That, or I'm going to duct tape some pillows around his head.... ;D

PS Can you pop over to my 10month old naps question on the EASY forum?!

Offline bennysmama

Re: 10mo turbo-charged baby boy!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 13:45:07 pm »
Thanks mashi, that helps a lot ;D     Popping over to the naps forum now...

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 15:32:28 pm »
I had to hover until DD learned to get back down which took a couple of weeks!  She could get up but then couldn't work out how to get back down so would cry until I'd come and help her!  Became a pro very quickly though and then you can lessen the hovering!

We do have a 'baby jail' too which I pop her into if I have to get something done..have kept a few toys separate that she only sees when she's in there so that helps keep her amused for a few mintues before she's off on the move again! 

Offline bennysmama

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 20:02:52 pm »
Thank you ladies!!   You're great. 

I was at work today, so I'm going to start our own baby jail tomorrow (we have a collapsible playpen).  I'll try to turn it into a game.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 14:42:48 pm »
Just saw this and it is exactly how DS is these days!  Same as you mashi, one day he was struggling to pull himself up and the next he was all over everything!  TBH, I just left him to it.  I realized really quickly to trust him in knowing how to steady himself, and I was never far away but I certainly didn't follow him around (actually, I think DH thought I was a terrible mummy or something!).  He would topple over and occasionally bump his head, but every day was so much steadier.  Also, I make sure everything in the house he could reach was safe and just set him loose.  The more he explores the less trouble he gets into.  It's always the 'forbidden' areas that they want the most, so almost nothing is forbidden and he learned very quickly where to go.  I never have to confine him anymore, I can even do all my housework with him around and I know he's ok.

Also, I learned very quickly that bare feet are best!  No socks or footed pyjamas (sometimes the ones with the grips on the feet are ok), and he is very steady on his feet.  I leave him in one room to run to another all the time, I've even started leaving him in the living room (babyproofed obviously) with the gates up while I take my shower and he's fine.

My next challenge now is climbing, I caught the little bugger halfway up one of the baby gates yesterday!   :o  He must have been 6 inches off the ground and when I turned around and gasped he let go and fell on his butt  ::).  I am so in trouble with this kid!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline K's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Textbook baby!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 14:43:24 pm »
I still hover with DD as there are some drawers in our livingroom that aren't 100% childproof yet (waiting on DH to do this) so when she goes near the tv stand for example I am always behind her as she loves to pull on the top drawer which then moves.  She's getting better but until all the drawers are childproofed I stay with her when she's on the prowl.  She is getting better at some things though, like she is finally leaving the floor heating vents alone - novelty has warn off.  When we go to her playgroup on Friday afternoons the other parents are always amazed at how mobile she is (she's the youngest and most active) - she will not sit still, just crawls around exploring everything.  I'm looking forward to the day though when I can put her on the kitchen floor and know she'll play safely while I can do something else like prep dinner.  Playpens are definitely a lifesaver and so is her exersaucer.
Tracy (40) + DH (46) + DD (Sept. 1, 2008) + DKitties (x2)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 23:24:17 pm »
DD won't stay in playpens or exercausers anymore without wailing to get out and explore :( I can get her to play in her crib while I shower and get ready for the day but other than that she wants to be out and all over. She also climbed up a gate and can climb the stairs and I need more childproofing!