Author Topic: 22 Month old - all of a sudden will NOT go to bed  (Read 20616 times)

Offline jennm0474

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Big Boy!!!!
22 Month old - all of a sudden will NOT go to bed
« on: June 15, 2009, 00:58:35 am »
After sleeping like a DREAM for the last 8 months.......DS started out right refusing to go to bed.  Screaming at the top of his lungs.....for hours!!!
I tried WI/WO - but it seems to make him even more upset.  He is happy while I'm comforting him - rubbing his back - but the minute I leave he starts screaming again.
This has gone on for the last 4 nights and seems to be out of the blue.

I am not sure what to do?  This was completely out of the blue - he was falling asleep on his own for the last 8 months....going to bed awake and falling asleep by himself without a problem.  It's kind of making me nervous that he's doing this all of a sudden.   ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: 22 Month old - all of a sudden will NOT go to bed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 18:19:12 pm »
Is he by any chance teething?  It's about time for those 2 year molars.  Can you post your usual routine in terms of wake up/nap/bedtime?  {{{{hugs}}}}
Michelle

Offline jennm0474

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Big Boy!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 23:14:14 pm »
He usually gets cold symptoms when he's teething.  I tried Tylenol the other night and it didn't seem to make much of a difference and that usually works when he's teething -so I figured that wasn't it.
Ok - here is his daily schedule.

6:30-7am - Wake up
7:30-8:00am - Breakfast
8:30 - 11:30am - PLAY PLAY PLAY PLAY (he's home on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday - Tuesday, Wed, Thursd he's at an at home daycare)
11:30am - LUNCH
12:30pm - 2:30 or 3pm - Nap
3:00pm - snack
3:30 - 5:00pm - Play
5:30 pm - dinner
6:00pm - Bath time
6:30 - wind down time / stories
6:45 / 7pm - bed time

He has been on this exact schedule for about 3 months (when he dropped his morning naps) without any problem....and then BAM - out of the blue he just won't go to bed.
He went in for his nap today without as much as a peep......but now it's bed time and he's SCREAMING....like he's terrified of something.

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 23:24:44 pm »
Is your LO talking enough for you to ask him why he isn't happy going to bed? It sounds like he is scared...

Your routine looks good to me (I'm no expert though)...

Have you got a night light in the room, have you looked to see if there are any new "scary" shadow shapes in his room?  Perhaps he has had a nightmare or an illness previously that has upset him?  Have you started any new activities? Any family upheavals recently?

Sorry for all the questions, but just read the end of BW and Tracy always suggests to look at what has changed, because usually there is a trigger....

Lizzie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline jennm0474

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Big Boy!!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 00:52:11 am »
He is talking - but only enough to say "no" when I say "it's time for night night"

He has a nightlight although I haven't checked for any scary shadows in his room.  I can't really think of anything that's changes or any family upheavals recently.  It's been raining like crazy here lately and he hasn't gotten as much outside play as he usually does and he is constantly asking to go outside - so that could be something.

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 02:16:59 am »
Hi- I was wonder if UT was an issue- if he's not been getting as much outside time.
We've been getting stalling at bedtime lately too- doesn't seem SA, just maybe ready to wake from his nap a bit earlier? Mine naps till 2:30 or 3, but has NOT been going down easily at 7:30PM.
I too have been wondering;
teething
speech/motor milestones
changes to environment (for us, yes, new daycare)
maybe shortening naps if UT...
Hope it passes soon!
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 02:35:43 am »
just wanted to let you know that my 23 month old has just started the crying thing before bedtime too.  he has always gone to bed at both naps and night beautifully, but all of the sudden now he cries before both.  i'm wondering if it's SA too. 

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:51:22 am »
Going through this right now with my 20 month old DD.  I'm positive it's SA, as I went through it with DD1 every once in awhile between 18 months and 3 years and our routine is solid.  WI/WO was a disaster with a capital D last night, took her 1.5 hours to fall asleep, and she was awake between 2 and 3:30 am until I figured it out.   I'm APing as little as possible, staying in her room until she falls asleep, but not making eye contact or touching her.  Took 20 minutes tonight and not much crying on her end.  My plan is to keep our bedtime routine the same and if she stands up and starts screaming then I go back in and comfort her, lay her back down and back away until she's asleep.  If this continues more than a week then I've created a new prop and I'll have to deal with it then, but TBH, she's a great independent sleeper with a good routine... Even IF I've given her a prop it won't take much time to straighten her out.  I'm sure she'll be fine in a few days, she just needs to get past this hurdle and be reassured that I'm there for her.  I'm hoping I'm right!  :)

Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:00:14 am »
I went thru this too about 5 months ago....dd was about 26 mos.    I never did figure it out...just did my own version of WI/WO....and a bit of AP.  It stopped as suddenly as it began...it lasted 5 long days, though.  She had/has always been the best sleeper, and actually asks to go to bed....so I have no idea what that glitch was.  ??  Like your ds, my dd seemed so scared...it was awful.
How have you been handling it thus far?? WI/WO? Or something else?  WI/WO made my dd insane....I had to combine several techniques and some ap to get her through it.

Offline marensmama

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:03:11 am »
Hi Anne!  I was thinking of you at 2:30 this morning!  ;D  I remember when Amelia went through it, I'm hoping Hayden's phase passes in a few days too.  :)

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 04:10:51 am »
Hi Nicole! That's so weird because I BOLTED awake at 2:30 am (NY time) because there was a thunder boom so loud that I swear it was in our room!  So you weren't the only one awake because of loud noises!   ;)

I'm going to go hunt down that thread from when Amelia was doing this....can I tell you this place is better than having a baby book??  I love reading over old posts!!

You'll get through it!!!

Offline marensmama

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:18 am »
LOL, this place IS Hayden's baby book!  Maren's is the old-fashioned paper kind with photos and snippets and anecdotes about all her cute stuff ::)  ;D

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 04:30:20 am »
I print stuff out from here all the time. I think Amelia will get a kick out of it when she's older..."Look honey, hundreds of women all over the world were thinking of you!"   ;D   (*the losing bun thread is a classic*)   :)

Offline marensmama

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 04:46:30 am »
I think I'll do that too!  Even though I've written nothing in her real baby book, I have about 2000 posts all about my little Miss H. 

As far as the SA goes tonight she went down with me in the room again, but I just told her it was sleepy time and that she should lay down... she did, quietly, and then stared at me until she went to sleep.  Easier than the night before and the night before that, so I think she'll figure it out soon enough.  :)

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 22:51:41 pm »
Oh that's really good progress, well done :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us