Author Topic: 22 Month old - all of a sudden will NOT go to bed  (Read 20612 times)

Offline marensmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 202
Re: 22 Month old - all of a sudden will NOT go to bed
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 02:06:55 am »
Last night was so-so, she had a NW around 12:30 and I spent 20 minutes standing in her room until she fell asleep again, or so I thought.  As soon as I left the room she bolted upright and started to cry again, but laid down when I told her it was time to be asleep and then I just left the room.  She didn't make another peep.  And tonight she stood up and started to cry when I put her down, then laid down when I told her it was sleepy time, and I left the room and she's been quiet since!  Hopefully that's the end of it, but we'll see what overnight brings!  :)
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline marensmama

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:07:28 am »
Oh, and sorry to the OP if I just totally hijacked this thread.  :-*

Offline jennm0474

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Big Boy!!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 00:24:06 am »
Ok - so my DS has gone to sleep like an angel for the last 2 nights.  I haven't changed anything and he's back to normal.....

It stopped as quickly as it started....

I am happy - but still confused.  :-)

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 00:27:54 am »
Well I'm glad you are happy...about the confused, sounds like it happen to a lot of bubs so perhaps there is some brain development that goes on at this age??  Glad that it's all settling down for you though :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 00:30:21 am »
That's just how it happened for us, too. You'll never know what it was...but at least it's over!!!  A friend of mine told me once that her ds had gone thru a bout of this, and about 3 months later, he was talking ALOT more than he was 3 months prior, and he said to his Mom, "mama, birdie bang the window...bang,bang! I cry"  Of course this made no sense to her, but later it dawned on her that if a bird flew into his window and scared him to death during a nap, or while he was just gazing out the window falling asleep, that that could have been the cause of the NWs from a few months ago!!

Anyway...congratulations!!  Now I wish the same for Nicole!!!  Go to sleep, Hayden...stop holding mama hostage.  

Offline marensmama

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 02:24:14 am »
When Maren went through this, it was right after we'd gone camping and she'd slept in the bed with us in the trailer.  Since we've never coslept, this was a huge novelty for her, but as soon as we got home she went through massive SA when put in her bed for sleep.  It was like she figured out that when she's in her own room, we're off doing something else.  You just never know where their little minds are going!

As for Miss Hayden, she had no NWs last night and went down relatively easy tonight... she stood up as soon as I put her in her crib, started to cry, I said no, honey, it's bed time now, you need to lay down, and she did.  Then I left the room and she's been quiet ever since.  So not perfect yet, but WAY better.  I don't know what triggered it, but she is talking a lot more now, saying words that are crystal clear where last week we might have been the only ones to understand her, so I guess it could be developmental too.

Offline monica1127

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 02:27:45 am »
So is your son going to sleep fine now?  I was just wondering because my son is 20 months and just started doing this 2 days ago.  He screams like he is terrified at nap and bedtime.  I have not changed any routines and he will stop crying usually in about 15 minutes and go to sleep and stay asleep like usual.  It is just so weird because he looks like he is scared.  He just jumps up and down, screams, turns his fisher price aquarium off and holds his arms up and says 'pick, pick'.  That is one of the few words he is able to say.  The only thing that has changed is that his big sister is home now from school during naps.  Just wondering if your son has gotten over this and hoping that it is just a phase.  Hope to hear a reply soon. 
-Monica

Offline jennm0474

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Big Boy!!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 02:12:54 am »
UGHHHHH
We thought we were out of the woods....but it has started again.  The last couple of night he hasn't gone to bed well at all.  WI/WO does not work at all.  It makes him even more upset.  I changed his bedtime routine a bit to give him some more wind down time but that isn't working either.
Last night he cried for about 1 hour. (in between me going in and out of the room)...when I walk in the room he points to the rocking chair because he wants me to hold him and rock in the chair.  If I do that - he falls asleep in my arms, but I don't want to get into that habit.

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 02:56:31 am »
Hi- sorry to hear you're still having trouble with bedtime sleep. We're still in the midst of teething molars and some nights having to give an extra long winddown and rocking.
My general approach ATM, is if he's genuinely distressed, I'll give some Motrin, then rock a bit, put him down when relaxed, but NOT yet asleep. I hear you about not wanting to start the pattern of falling asleep in the rocker as a habit! Hugs, and know you're not alone.
Stay the course, comfort as you must. Hugs.
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline dairymom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 02:49:48 am »
So glad to hear that I'm not alone!  I have a 21 month old ds who has just recently started being terrified at bedtime.  I have followed BW since he was 3 months and he has been a wonderful independent sleeper until now.  This is the first time he has ever seemed afraid.  I can't figure it out and tonight I caved and picked him up after 10 minutes of him standing there crying "MOMA" and rocked him again and laid him back down.  Then after 10 more minutes, I sent my dh in to get him.  DH rocked him to sleep and put him down.  I don't want to start rocking to sleep bc we have never had to do that, and it's not a habit I want to begin.  I'm just telling myself it will pass and I'm going to try to not pick him up anymore.  The problem is that we're going on vacation next week and I think all our work may go down the drain!  Will he ever remember that he likes to go to bed?!

Offline LizzieN

• Showing Appreciation 143
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:41 am »
Sweetie the way I see it (and this could be wrong) when you are on vacation the rules are allowed to be slackened off and AP is ok :)  It's meant to be a break for you all, so try not to worry about it too much.  When you get back, gently try and get your LO back into his good habits...you will get there, it sounds like this is a very common stage, so I suspect it's a developmental thing...hang in there.  Give him cuddles in the cot (ie cuddle but don't pick him up), speak soothingly and stay in the room for now if he needs you to, then gradually withdraw again.....

I so hope that you both succeed soon :)

Good luck
xx Lizzie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline jennm0474

• Showing Appreciation 1
  • Big Boy!!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 23:20:43 pm »
My DS just screams so loudly.  Saturday night I was in and out of his room until 2am.  Finally I did the worst thing I could have possibly done....I brought him into my bed and he fell asleep.  I was so tired - I needed to get some sleep.
The last couple of nights he's done a little better.  I have given him Tylenol because I really think he's teething.  He's been drooling allot again - which he hasn't done in a while.
I feel so bad when he is so upset.  It's a cry of terror...and when I try to put him back in crib - he clings to me like I am trying to drop him off a cliff or something......
I wish I had the answer!  My DD never did this...and she's 4 now.

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 02:00:46 am »
{{{{{hugs}}}}} it could be teething  - it could also be some separation anxiety.  You may want to try doing some low key play time in his room - or even in his bed, so he's not so scared of it.  Don't beat yourself up over bringing him to bed with you.  Just start fresh tomorrow.  Hang in there!!!
Michelle

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 21:15:48 pm »
we are still dealing with the tears before bed and it's been going on for about a month now.  sometimes my 23 month old will cry for a few minutes and then get control and just lay in there and talk for a few minutes and fall asleep and sometimes like last night he will cry for a good 20 minutes before falling asleep.  i HATE ending the day that way...and he does much, much worse if i go in there because he will just say "hold you" and want me to hold him only for the whole thing to start all over again once i put him in the crib.  if i tell him from outside his door to lay down and go to sleep, he screams even louder so for us the best thing is to shut the door and walk away and that seems to lead to the least amount of tears, although there are still plenty of tears.  it is so hard.  i feel like a terrible mom that my son cries himself to sleep several nights a week!  i hoping it is just a phase...i think he is fighting sleep and would honestly rather be up playing and that is why he is crying.