Author Topic: Reading books to a 10 month old.  (Read 4601 times)

Offline samypoo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:45:31 am »
My LO is almost 10 months old. Every now and then I try to read her a story but she has a little tantrum if I don't give her the book to chew/suck/play with. I've tried giving her her own book while I read to her but she just wants the book I've got. So I end up giving up for a few weeks and then try again but it's still the same. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I really think reading is important and I want her to enjoy storytime. Do I need to wait till she is a bit older or should I try everyday until she gets the hang of it?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 :)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Reading books to a 10 month old.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:52 am »
My LO only started sitting and listening to a story all the way through (a SHORT story) at 17 months. Most of the time he just wants to turn the pages back and forwards, lift the flaps etc, but that's all good. Don't stress about 'reading' the book. If she wants to eat/play with/throw the book, that's fine. As she gets older, you can start just pointing to the pictures and naming the things, soon enough she will be bringing books to your lap to read with you.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:38:47 pm »
dd1 absolutely would not listen to stories when she was 10 months old - now she is 2.5 and she loves stories and knows most of the alphabet, so clearly it isn't essential to development.  I agree with pp - let your lo chew/play with/throw books and she will read with you when she is ready.

Incidentally, dd2 is 10 months and MUCH more active than dd1 and she really enjoys sitting with me for stories.  She likes to chew books as well, but she will sit and listen.  She loves the 'That's not my...' series and strokes the pages - if you haven't found those yet you should try them as they are great.
Cx

Offline K's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Textbook baby!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 20:13:12 pm »
My 9.5 month old DD has absolutely no interest in being read to either.  I just let her sit on the floor with whatever book she wants to flip through/chew on/fling about and as she's "playing" with it I point things out on the various pages.  I know she'll eventually figure out that the book has a story in it but for now I just let her do what she wants with it.  Most of her books are picture books with small amounts of text.
Tracy (40) + DH (46) + DD (Sept. 1, 2008) + DKitties (x2)

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 20:22:51 pm »
My lo is 9 mths and we often read together. Sometimes he just sits and watches and listens. Other times he wants to turn the pages or hang off the side of it. I've been reading to him since he was about 3 mths old - not that I think he noticed. I often do it as a low key activity as part of winddown or before bed when he is a bit more chilled out and would be more likely to SIT STILL  ::). If he really really wants the book himself I give it too him.

His favourite books are very simple - twinkle twinkle by amazing baby and orange pear apple bear.

I always use board books when he is in the grabbing mood.

Only recently will he sit and listen to a slightly longer story (and try and turn the pages before I am done reading!!) BTW by longer I mean more than two words per page!

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 20:28:06 pm »
Agree with pp's.  Mine wouldn't sit still until they were older, either.  I did make sure they had board/plastic/cloth books so they could "interact" even if it wasn't truly READING in the adult sense of the word.  Isaac, even at 2, can't last thru a long story, but J starting about about 3.5 likes the longer ones.  It'll happen, hun.  Just interact with your lo at whatever level they're ready for.  :)
Candice

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 20:48:39 pm »
To encourage the fun of books, try ones with flaps to open, tabs to slide, things that pop up, etc.  My little guy loves to open doors, turn things, etc and has for ages. We still even have some of the cloth type baby books that have little animals on strings that can go into their little spots and things and he likes to feel them, suck on them and rub them on his face. 

I also play hide and seek with different animals in his books.  All of his books are ones with thick heavy pages, like board books, so they open easily. And I think they are all just one picture with a word underneath, lots of colours and shapes and things to look at. So I will pick one thing, like a dog, and say the word, rub his hand on it, touch it, make barking sounds, and what not. Then I close the book and say "Where's the dog!?" and then open it up really quick, like playing peek-a-boo, and say "HERE'S the dog!!!"  Over and over and over and over again.  He absolutely LOVES it.  He has learned quite a few words that way and I was really really shocked yesterday when I found an old book that I thought we had lost and held it up to him and asked where the duck was.  He got a huge smile on his face, turned some pages and stopped at the duck and slapped it and held it up to me!! Soooo cute, and proof that they really DO retain vocabulary.

I give him his board books when he is in the car, he sits in the backseat on his own and flips through them, chews them, giggles and grins to himself at certain pages, and really enjoys his time.   

Offline samypoo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 04:19:28 am »
Thanks so much for all your tips and advice. I think I was just worrying too much, must be the hormones as I've just unexpectedly found out that Im pregnant again.
I did buy her one of those books with flaps and interactive stuff on each page and she absolutely LOVES it, she starts to cry when we get to the end so I have to quickly start over and over and over. I have found the "thats not my..." books like suggested and Im going to buy her one next.
Thanks again Ladies :)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 23:19:21 pm »
I just wanted to agree with you. My DD is 10 months and won't sit to listen to a book.  I have decided that since I do think reading is important, mostly for exposure to language and the idea that reading is enjoyable and fun, I try to read to her while she is playing right now. That way she is chewing/banging/pulling or otherwise manipulating something a foot or so away from me and I am reading and turning the pages and showing her what is going on in the book. Many times she comes toward me and tries to take the book I have, but I just move it out of her reach and keep on until she "wins" the book. Then I grab another and repeat. At least she is hearing and seeing the story even if it's not so sit still and settle in for storytime yet. This is not to say that I do this everyday, but I am hoping to get to that point!