Author Topic: One year old, MSPI, have no access to formula anymore...what can he drink?  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Well, DS has been losing weight the past 6 weeks or so, I think because he eats mainly fruit and veg, and he's not that great with his milk lately.  So, I've been adding coconut milk to his fruit the past couple of days for the extra fats!

Have my fingers crossed that we can sort health insurance and paed appt shortly after we arrive so that we can get the milk Steffi has found for me in plenty of time!

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
Sorry to hear he has been losing weight Mashi, hope the new formula helps!

Melanie, I've seen various brands fortified with stuff but they still don't have the cholesterol. I know cholesterol is viewed as an evil poison by the medical community but it's actually essential for babies' and toddlers' brains and nervous systems  - breastmilk is high in cholesterol and even has a special enzyme to help babies absorb it! So it must be there for a reason. Also the artificial vitamins aren't as well absorbed as the natural stuff. eg the most common supplemental form of Vitamin B12 is cyancobalamin which has a cyanide molecule attached to it and must be converted by the body into a usable form. You can always give extra egg yolks if there are no allergy issues - egg yolks are high in cholesterol.  Other than that it's shellfish (another allergy concern!) or fatty meat.

I have a recipe for a casein free formula so now DS is over 1 I might give that a go. Let's see if he drinks it!

Offline birdie

• Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
DS was unable to digest milk/soy/wheat-free breast milk so he started drinking Neocate at 11 weeks due to moderate allergic colitis caused by milk/soy allergy.  At 12 mo, our pediatrician tried wanted me to try him Neutramigen, which after a week started causing problems.  So instead of going back to Neocate, she had me try rice milk.  As mentioned by a PP, Rice Dream has all of the vitamins and he really likes.  I have actually gottten good at cooking with it too.

Good luck,
Wendy
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)