Author Topic: Routine on vacations - so afraid of her sleeping.  (Read 1965 times)

Offline olivetshka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Routine on vacations - so afraid of her sleeping.
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:24:48 pm »
Hi ladies,
Could you please tell me how to survive on vacation, where we have a nice schedule for nap and bedtime at home?
Amelia is an independent sleeper and sleeps alone in her crib in her own room. Takes a nap once a day, around 12-12.30 and sleeps 1,5 hrs.
I guess I'm afraid of sleeping the most here, while it will be our first trip and our first vacation since she was born (last year we didn't go, cause she was an awful sleeper and we were just scared of making it even worse).
I would like to arrange similar conditions we have at home, but I just don't know where to start. We have a travel crib for her and will have to take a CD player while she's listenings lullabies before falling asleep. Books, songs, etc.
Are you obssesed with your routine on vacations?
I guess I'm so scared I can't even imagine us there - laying on the beach during the day and sleeping good at night. Is it even possible? :)

Can you share some ideas how to relax and survive? :)
Thanks a lot.
Anna

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Routine on vacations - so afraid of her sleeping.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:46:01 am »
It is possible  :) We just went away for 3 nights and beforehand I was so worried about how Spencer would manage to sleep. She has a great routine at home and at daycare, but I was worried about not being able to darken the room enough for her. I wasn't worried about when she would sleep but rather IF she would at all! (Plus, I was being a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding so DH was in charge...and she is a mommy's girl)

What we discovered is that she is way more flexible than we ever thought, she has a hard time sleeping in a car and on the first day did not sleep from 7am to 7pm, but still slept a solid 12 hour night. We brought along her fan for white noise and I ended up using tinfoil on the windows to darken the room and it all worked out. Has she slept in her travel crib before? I think as long as things are similar she will be just fine.

Hope you have a lovely time,
Heidi

Heidi

Offline elf

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:55:00 am »
We've had heaps of holidays with dd and I just keep things exactly the same.  I take the CD player with her CD, a black sheet (my husband thinks it's nuts!) to darken rooms and do everything the same and she is fine.  Before we ever went on our first holiday with her I set up her portacot in her room so she had slept in it before we went away.  We go away heaps and you will probably find that all the fresh air and new surroundings will tire her out anyway...

Offline olivetshka

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:06:58 am »
Has she slept in her travel crib before?

No, she hasn't. And I wonder if I should introduce it before trip and let her sleep there for a while, or I should wait and do it later so she will know that's the place where she suppose to sleep on vacation?
Thanks for your replies, ladies :)
Anna

Offline elf

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:51:16 am »
I introduced it at home just so both her and I were used to putting her down in it and she was used to it.  We have had holidays where dd hasn't taken as good a sleeps as she would at home sometimes and then she gets cranky but  whenever we come back home things have gone back to normal.  It's always worth it though to have the holiday.  Other times on holiday she has actually slept better...

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 14:45:40 pm »
I would let her have some naps it the travel crib just so it's not a surprise. I never used mine at home for sleeping (her room is not big enough for the crib and the playpen), but at daycare she sleeps in one and that was enough for her to be familar with it.

Heidi
Heidi

Offline jess, lukeys_mom

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 08:20:57 am »
Hi there,

I just finished putting together an FAQ in getting back on track about travelling with a LO.  Here is some info that may help you. x

Post-flight, on holiday:
At your destination you will probably have to play it by ear. especially in another house many babies don't sleep as well so it could be a very long night, or he could be exhausted. It depends quite a bit on the time difference too. i have found that with luke it often works very well when we travel east to west as he will just sleep hard and heavy when we arrive. the other way has been quite difficult for us. (if that's the case for you too then come find me on getting back on track when you get home   )

While on holiday many people resort to a lot of AP as it is so different to home. I will not say don’t do this at all, because a holiday is still quite different from home. But I will say that some things are worse than others. For example, in our experience, having luke do some stroller naps on holiday or wearing him around for naps has been no big deal. Sometimes we’ve had to stay in his room to get him to sleep, which we pretty much never do at home. There has been little to no consequence doing this either.
Also we usually share a room on holiday. When he was young this was no big deal, but as a toddler it has often led to NW’s when we get home, with him wanting to hold our hands or just have us in his room.
Co-sleeping on holiday when you never do this at home seems to be one technique that gives many people problems when they get home and is very difficult to wean. Same with rocking for night sleep. If you can avoid these, I would.

As far as routine goes, try to stick as close to home’s routine as possible, but be flexible. I think avoiding OT is the most important. Also, gage this on your time difference and the length of your stay. For example, if you are going somewhere that is 2 hours later than home, you may just want to try and stay on that time the whole trip. But if you’ll stay for 3 weeks, you’ll need to get on local time anyway. A larger time difference, say 5 or 6 hours, probably needs to be adapted to no matter what the length of stay.

Also, try to bring as many things from home as possible, and make bedtimes familiar. You will also need to be flexible and still read lo’s cues. He or she will probably know they are on holiday too, or at least that it’s different from home, and may also be flexible – but give him or her some time if not. Often it just takes a little getting used to.

At home:
Something to remember: International travel and jet lag can often kick-start new development phases! So if you have a certain routine before leaving, don’t expect it is going to go back to the exact same thing when you are home. Your BW detective will need to come back out, and you will need to follow lo’s new cues to determine the routine they will settle into.

Be prepared:
after all this rambling what I really want to mention is that for the couple weeks before you leave on your trip, take a good log of your son's routine and natural rhythm. record things such as when he sleeps for XX minutes, he can stay awake for XX before getting cranky, but if he only sleeps for XX he can only stay away for XX. you get the idea. then on your flights and at your destination, just try to be careful about the awake times no matter how you get him to sleep. i can’t stress enough how helping him to not get too OT and wired will be a big help to all of you.
Mom to Luke (2007) and Dylan (2009)