Author Topic: Reply page has the "Jitters"  (Read 9472 times)

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Reply page has the "Jitters"
« on: June 19, 2009, 14:18:59 pm »
So I can type a reply.  When I get to the bottom of the alloted space it will allow me to type more but it gets the "jitters".  Every letter makes the box jump up but as soon as the letter is on the screen the words disappear to just below the bottom of the reply box.  This keeps happening with every subsequent letter I type.
I've tried typing a word and then hitting enter lots so that there is lots of space between where I'm replying and the word to see if it would stop it.  Then I scroll up so that the last sentence of my reply is at the top of the reply box.
Well, the first letter I type back up at the bottom of my actual reply works well, but the whole reply slips down so that the last sentence of my reply is at the bottom of the reply box.  The next letter will cause it all to go off under the bottom of the reply box.
If I go to preview I can see all I have typed, including the 'fake out' word and spaces, but I can't see it in "real time" while typing in the reply box.
I'm starting to think that I'm being censored to write shorter posts  ;) :P :D
Any ideas? 

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 15:18:15 pm »
i know, it makes me feel seasick lol! i just use the quick reply box now as doesnt seem to do it on that. miss the emoticons but at least I dont feel seasick he he
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline Canwi

• Me, in a picture
Re: Reply page has the "Jitters"
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 15:47:45 pm »
The problem is when you use the quick reply box and then preview, you are now stuck in the main reply page and all "jittery" :(

Offline ~emmalou~

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 15:49:10 pm »
oh right, I never preview you see, so usually just quick reply then post x

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 18:42:45 pm »
stacy, i replied to you about this on your other post.  it's not happening to me & i can't seem to replicate it. 

all i can suggest is to clear your cache/cookies/temp files & see if that fixes things.  beyond that, you need gareth and/or andy/theo. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 18:47:27 pm »
i'm just replying to see if i get the same thing....i know that it has happened to me in the past, here and on other forums/websites, and if you are using Firefox then it can be a sign that you need to upgrade to the most recent version...that's the only thing that strikes me at the moment

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 19:14:22 pm »
OK, let me be sure I have this correct.

You reply to a post by hitting the Reply button and not using Quick Reply.  The problem doesn't exist in the Quick Reply box, only in the main Reply screen?

If I've got that right, then please tell me whether or not you have a - and + buttons at the bottom left of the reply box?  If you do, when you click either of the buttons does the white space expand/contract?  If they do expand/contract, then please try expanding the box and then typing a long reply that doesn't extend beyond the available space.  Does the problem continue if you reply using this method?

Also, let me know the browser, and which version, you are using :)
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline ~emmalou~

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 22:18:47 pm »
Thats great using the + for me, thanks so much :D  gives a nice great big box to reply in and doesnt seem to jitter so far :D :D

It doesnt occur for me when using quick reply at all.  I personally am using windows internet explorer :)

Thanks

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

Offline Canwi

• Me, in a picture
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 22:56:58 pm »
Gareth,

Yes you got it right I only get it (that I can think of) in the main reply screen.

I'm hoping I can waffle enough with this reply  or add enough spare lines to recreate the issue.

I do have the + & - buttons.

They do make the box expand and contract.

Always wondered what their purpose was  :-[

Ok.  Now this reply is too big for the "regular" amount of space on the reply screen.

If it's going to happen it should start anytime now.

And ...

there it goes.  I can only see the line I'm typing while I'm actually hitting the keys.

Ok. I expanded the box and will now see if I can get it to do it again.

This has to be a record for the number of white lines I've put in a post.

Ok.  Now I'm just off the page of the first "expansion" size page.

Yep.  It still does it.  The first thing that happens is my "enter/return" key adds a space on the line and not a new line. 

Then the next time I type "enter/return" it gets jittery.  I've even tried a 3rd expansion page and get the same problem.  It also happens if I just keep typing and never hit return again. 
Which is kinda silly as I feel like I'm talking and never taking a breath.  ::)

I know I'm using windows Internet explorer & I think it's version 8.0 (just updated last week)
TIA Gareth.

Offline Canwi

• Me, in a picture
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 23:03:54 pm »
Going to try on the quick reply screen
 ;D
    :D
        ;)
           :-\
                 8)
Can't think of anymore waffle I can tell you about the issue to fill up more lines.  So you can just read smilies, unless you want to hear about my day
which was exceptionally tiring
but if I went to bed
at a reasonable
hour it quite
possibly may have
helped the situation

Ok the enter button just did a space and when I hit enter again it gave me two lines.
no jitters so far
back to my
tiresome
day because obviously
this isn't going to happen
in the quick
reply screen
for me either
other than
that random
jump.

are you all tired of me waffling yet? ;)  Yes I'm trying to avoid my kids.  :P :-[

Oh oh spoke too soon.  I did a preview and added the smilies and now it's jitterbugging away happily.  It's like trying to look at a strobe light  :-X :o

• Mac Daddy
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 07:28:12 am »
That was some entertaining reading :)  I'll do some digging to see if I can resolve the issue.  It's difficult because I cannot replicate it on any of my local machines.

Are you prepared to download Firefox?  If you are, we would be able to see if the issue presents itself on your machine if you're running Firefox.

You can download Firefox from the link below:
Get Firefox - Free Download
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

• Mac Daddy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 07:38:14 am »
OK, I've tried getting the issue to arise in IE8 and, it doesn't.  Next to the address bar in IE8 there should be a small icon that looks like a broken page.  This is the Compatibility View button, see if it helps when you have that button pressed.  Meanwhile, I'll continue digging to see if I can find a solution. 
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline Canwi

• Me, in a picture
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 12:26:52 pm »
Glad you got some humour while trying to fix this problem Gareth. ;)
I won't leave all the spaces in this post this time.  Just wanted to give you and idea of how long I can type before the problem starts.
I'm quickly typing this up before I go to work.  If I have time I'll try to access BW at work and see if there is an issue with our computer or the browser we are using.

I've got the compatibility view button pushed (Broken page) to see if it makes any difference.
This really is quite frustrating.  At least now I know what the + & - buttons are for I can make the screen bigger and that makes a huge
difference.
Well, maybe I'll jinx myself, but the problem seems to have stopped with the compatibility button pushed.

Will do more tinkering tonight.
Thanks G. :-*

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 15:35:27 pm »
We need a neurologist!!!  Do you think the site needs meds, or should we look into having a VNS installed? 

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/vns
Wait, scratch that idea, when the jitters happen, you use a magnet.  BAAAD idea for a 'puter. 
Trying to replicate this whole thing with Vista. 
Sooo, my world today: Mouse is sorting through a bunch of hair ribbons while Ozzie Smith watches.  You know cats and ribbons!  Hubby is off fishing with his brother.  Bit stupid, he hates fish, can't swim, and is in fact afraid of water. 
This makes things interesting as his daughter LOOOOVES water.  Could someone explain who I could work 2 10 hr shifts this week with the Hurricaine  at daycare and Dave at home.  The house was picked up when I left, it's a disaster area now.  I seriously don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Help me!!  She's putting my hair into a ponytail.  Did I mention I have a pixie cut?  OWWWWWWWW!!!!!  No jitter yet, but coming to the end of the space.  Anyone know how to catch a unique rabbit?  Unique up on it!  How do you catch a tame rabbit?  The tame way, unique up on it.   ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :D  Yeah, bad joke, but it amuses me.  Takes so little to do that these days.  Hmmm, no jitter.  Deb, maybe you need to give your 'puter some Dilantin? 

Failing that, I hope my babbling has helped somehow.   :-* :-*
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

• Mac Daddy
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 18:42:25 pm »
It's all good entertainment ;D  We'll have to move this thread to Games before long :P  It's a creative writing challenge :)
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005