Author Topic: 10 month old boy--on the go non-stop  (Read 1235 times)

Offline CRHMOM

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: June 19, 2009, 22:30:29 pm »
Hello,

I have a 10 month old son that is quite spirited. He is constantly on the go and doesn't like to sit still and play quietly with his toys. He has always been on the go -- crawling by 7 months and walking by 9.5 months. He loves to climb up on furniture, get into cupboard, tries to open doors, climb stairs and he loves to push furniture around the house-- chairs, ottomans, his high chair. I try and pick and choose my battles as to what he can and can't play with. Everytime I try to distract him with a toy he goes back to what he was originally doing. Does any other baby do this. I'm not sure if I"m setting a good example that he can rearrange our furniture all day long, but at the end of the day I will be saying no to almost everything he is doing. Is it okay to pick and choose my battles and if wants to be a furniture mover -- let him?  Its exhausting deal with a very spirited baby who doesn't sit still.........Any advice??

Thanks
Trisha

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 23:09:20 pm »
Hi Trisha!  My DS is 9.5 months, and while he's not walking yet he is quite the mover and shaker!  TBH, I've given up trying to keep him out of things.  I've more or less made everything safe for him and I just let him at it.  Some people might not think it's a good idea to give a baby free reign, but I figure 'forbidden' things are more appealing, so if everything is open for him to explore he will get over the novelty of it and eventually leave it alone.  I guess my mentality is that at this age they are little explorers, that's how they learn about the world so the best we can do is make it safe for them and give them the confidence to have fun and discover.  However, I'm sure some discipline should always be present, for example he should know if there is a dangerous situation or if something is 'off limits'.  This is especially important to teach from the point of view that if you are a guest at someone's house, DS will need to know his boundaries.  With DS, I am constantly telling him what something is, "no, dirty" or "be careful, dangerous".  I will remove him for bad situations.  It doesn't mean he won't go back, which is frustrating, but I hope that overtime by being consistent he will start to learn.  Overall though, I don't try to confine him or keep him away from things.  I've removed potential hazards and keep an eye on what he's doing, but in the end it's been far less stressful for me and far more enjoyable for him if he's been free to explore. 

Hope that helps a little!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012