Author Topic: Won't sit down in the bath???  (Read 8485 times)

Offline alilaa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • ...on a very steep learning curve...
Won't sit down in the bath???
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:30 am »
My 15 month old LO will not sit down in the bath any more?
Nothing has changed environmentally, same room, same bath, same water temp, toys etc...
has anyone else had this problem and if so do you have any tips???
Thanks.
...Alida...

Angel / Textbook

Textbook

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:08:51 pm »
My LO started walking at 10.5 months and that is when he decided to stand in the bath.  I didn't have a problem with it.  He played with all his toys, I was able to wash him and his hair, so why not?  I just had to put a slip mat on the bottom to prevent falls.  He started sitting in the tub at around 3 yrs old I think! He's not a sitter in general and didn't start watching tv sitting still until he was 3 as well. Before that he would keep half an eye on the tv and be playing actively.  As long as you can get him clean, don't worry.

A x

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 20:00:00 pm »
When my son started doing this - around the same age as your LO - I used to tell him calmly but firmly to "sit down" whilst at the same time lifting him up and sitting him down. I probably did it about 20 or 30 times per bath (!)  - just repeating the same thing over and over, and for several weeks... Sounds excessive but he got the message and still sits happily (and safely) for all his baths. Was worth the effort - hope this helps.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: Won't sit down in the bath???
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 21:19:09 pm »
OH MY GOODNESS...WE have the SAME problem!!! DD is almost 10 months and for the past week or two has been doing this and it drives me nuts b/c she isn't stable yet and I am terrified she will fall and crack her head open!

It's been exhausting with our little mover.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 21:24:52 pm »
Us too!! 

But I just let her stand.  Its not worth the battle to be honest.  I have a slip mat so she's totally safe standing and loves it and I can wash her no bother.  I do make her sit at one point to rinse her and she does that too.  Maybe just go with it and then your LO will sit when you need him too?  SO many battles to be fought, I just thought this one wasn't a big deal.

Any reason you don't want him standing? 

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 21:29:32 pm »
I'm with Shiv.  We bought an extra large slip mat as well, so no worries for falls for us. He started having showers at 2 yrs as well.

Offline alilaa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • ...on a very steep learning curve...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 00:22:01 am »
I have the non slip mat in the bath but I have 2 main concerns otherwise I am usually more than happy to go with the flow on these things:
Firstly my LO is accident prone and falls alot! even with the non slip mat! I am worried he will hit his head on the tap. I have one of those blow up tap protector thingies but he thinks it is another toy and just pulls it straight off.
Secondly, he gets quite cold when he stands.

When my son started doing this - around the same age as your LO - I used to tell him calmly but firmly to "sit down" whilst at the same time lifting him up and sitting him down. I probably did it about 20 or 30 times per bath (!)
We have been down this path before but it just doesn't work now because he is really testing the use of defiance at the moment!
:)
...Alida...

Angel / Textbook

Textbook

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 21:52:55 pm »
Yeah I think there are battles that need to be fought and this isn't one of them.  Just not worth it! 

Is there any way to attach the blow up protector on more securely (cellotape or string??) during bath time.  If you find a way let me know...my LO is loving the tap at the minute.  That and pulling out the plug! 

Does he seem cold or is does he just feel cold to the touch?  I worry about that too as my LO is up and down and and down and splashing about so does get her upper body wet but it doesn't seem to bother her.  I do though just leave washing her to the very end so its less time she'll be wet and exposed to the air IYKWIM? 

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:19:55 am »
Hi!
My DD started standing in the bath at about 2yo, but it was because she suddenly got afraid of the water. We let her stand and started using the shower hose to clean her instead, or our water on her with a small jug. We eventually managed to get her to forget about stnding up by getting her interested in some new bath toys. Pouring and playing low down so she had to sit ;) One day she just decided that it was ok to sit again...
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 12:12:45 pm »
We had our bathtub refinished and the company that did it said to not use any of the bath mats with the suction cup things (which ALL of them have so that they don't move) or we could void the warrantee b/c they might pull up the paint. That's why I worry, b/c I do think she will slip without a mat if she is standing. I am hoping she starts walking and becomes more stable soon.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 12:24:18 pm »
Yeh, I let him stand and have a non-slip mat that I put in for his baths. He loves dropping his toys in from standing height.