Author Topic: my kids are bored...... ideas?  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: my kids are bored...... ideas?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 00:33:23 am »
Now granted I only have 1 kid for the next few weeks, then we'll have a newborn, but here are some things that have kept DS occupied while I sit:  bubble wrap (loves stomping on it), I hide a toy somewhere in the room while he's not looking, he finds it then he hides it while I close my eyes and I tell him where to look while still sitting (your older child may be able to tell you hot/cold).  I spy, simon says, mother may I, bubble play in the sink ( I have even put dirty spoons, cookie cutters, etc in there and he has washed them).  fort building with blankets / pillows, books on tape / CD (I'm a teacher so I have lots of these, but they also have them at the library).  I'll keep thinking on this, hope you have lots a new ideas.
Jen

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:17:22 am »
hugs hon

have not read the replies but just finished a craft project with liv today that you may like. with minimal help from you both kids could do this

http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2009/04/chugga-chugga-choo-choo.html
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline mum6791

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 08:05:13 am »
How about two kiddie pools - one for the kids and one for you!

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 22:11:31 pm »
tube of smarties.
Eat the smarties.
Scavenge around and find little things to put inside it - how many things can Jack fit in the tube?

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 22:32:18 pm »
Speaking of pools......   ;D

baby pool.  Fill with ball pit balls from Target.  $15.00 a bag.  Bought 2 bags.  Used gift certificate.  Use all year round.  ;D

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 03:24:34 am »
Hello.  It must be so hard not to be able to leave the house with two toddlers. 
My kids love to bowl.  I set up 10 pins, empty water  or soda bottles and use a ball and they take turns bowling.  The one that isnt bowling can bring the ball back to the other. It is great fun and they learn....kind of to take turns.
Punching balloons...supervised!  My kids have lots of fun with them.  You can sit on the couch and all play volleyball.
somithing my sil (Amelia 1227) does with my kids and im sure Amelia... Use a paper bag, put something in it...a bannana, toothbursh, toy.  and have them stick their hand in and guess what it is.  fill up a pillow case with stuff, sit on the couch or outside and play guess what is in the bag.
When my kids are getting antsy and cant run around i say...I spy somehting that is.....they usually stop and try and find what it is.  then they get a turn.
Have them play hide and seek, you can be base, and make sure they dont peek.
They are at a good age for candy land, hi ho cherrio or memory games.  another good game is bingo, they sell it for toddlers, or you can make your own with some stickers.
A tent is always fun, flashlights, sleeping bags.  Give them a non messy lunch and let them eat it in the tent....or a snack.  You can pack their lunches or snacks in a lunch box to make it fun.
Last month my dd put her bathing suit on, she is almost 4.  She asked for her beach chair and sunglasses.  I asked her why!!! she said i am going to the beach...OK.  So i layed a blue sheet down...the ocean, gave her some water animals, sharks, whales, fish toys, she played for a long time.  I aksed her if she wanted to bring her animal friends in to the tub.  she wore her bathing suit, sunglasses and played in the tub for a long time. 
Blow bubbles, try and make really big ones. 
Do you do Easter egg hunts?  If so break out the eggs.  you dont have to fill them.  hide them, when they find them all take one lo into another room and ask the other to hide the eggs.  Let the hider hold a basket and follow the other around to collect the eggs.  At easter my kids hide eggs for a few days.
Do you have a lake or pond.  My kids both love to throw rocks into the water.  You can bring a chair or find a spot with a rock to sit on.  They have to come to you to throw the rocks. When i was really prego with my dd, my son and I did this every day, we still go.  gives them a chance to run around finding rocks and you can sit.  Sounds abit iffy typing but i never had a problem, they never go to far and come to the same spot to throw the rocks into the water.  bring a lunch.

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 06:37:21 am »
thank you ALL so so much for your ideas, they are all so so brilliant, thank you!!! Deb that link looks great :D :D jack would love to make that choo choo so def will be doing that.

Been using a few ideas which are great, and intend to make use of each and every idea on here :)

Cant  believe we were stuck in such a rut, was so tired couldnt think straight, thank you all again :D
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline Maeve

• Showing Appreciation 92
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 15:53:17 pm »
When we had the 2 years of rain that's just ended, we were stuck inside a lot. I used to put mattresses on the ground for them to bounce on. Or a blanket over chairs. Or quilts in the cot. Or a quilt over the cot and they climb into the cot and the blanket goes down with them IYKWIM.
Maeve, mother to:
Con, full of fun (22nd may 2004)
Cathal "I'll do it" (9th february 2006) and
Sophie 'so far so good' (31st august 2007).