Author Topic: 8mo Can't eat rice, gives sore tummy. Anyone else with this prob?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline frano

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Oh look .....shoes!!!
I'm back again!!

Dietician said to keep Cara away from lactose until she's over a year.....hurray!! She did say it was a  bit mad to challenge it every two weeks ::)

Anyway.... she can't seem to tolerate rice at all. Baby rice gave her terrible wind at night, I gave her normwl rice for dinner one night....big mistake!!! Then I just realised this morning that I've been giving her cereal with rice in it. One of them it's the main ingredient and coincidently she had a really disturbed night the last time she had this cereal.

I just wanted to know if anyone else lo had a reaction to rice like this?? I'm afraid to try her with new foods incase it upsets her tummy. Any advice anyone??

Thanks

Fran

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
Re: 8mo Can't eat rice, gives sore tummy. Anyone else with this prob?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 10:43:50 am »
hi there :) we never gave rice as it caused such bad wind and constipation, I have heard lots of other mums say the same :) seems to be one of those things that the digestive system doesnt agree with :)

keep trying new foods with the 3 day rule, I bet you will do fine :)

proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:01:43 am »
Hey Fran

Think a lot of little ones can have problems with rice from what I've read on threads on here.  There can also be lactose in some dry cereals so don't know it that makes it a double problem for your LO.  Or can you get lactose free dry cereals? 

Maybe ditch the rice for a bit and see does it help with the disturbed nights and sore tummies? 

I'd probably try new foods but stick to fruits and veg for the meantime to check for reactions.  Or I bet she's eating a load of those already?  Maeve LOVES spinach and sweet potato...Cara might be a fan too!!

Offline frano

• Oh look .....shoes!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 14:09:49 pm »
Thanks ladies. I've been giving her lactose free cereal but it is hard to come by and now there's the prob with rice.....grrrr!! I'll keep trying her with new stuff, it just makes me nervous.... I need sleep lol

Offline lukemom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 00:31:35 am »
Hi there,

Just started my little guy on solids.  I went to see a ND before starting solids just to see what they recommended.  I am glad I did because  they suggest holding off on any type of rice/grain cereal because infants lack the enzyme to digest it which can be binding and therefore lead to constipation. Suggested age to start grains per ND is 9 months.  At that time you can introduce single grains like ground oatmeal and ground brown rice. Now I realize that there are a bizillion kids who had cereal and did fine.  Just food for thought!  LOL  I also am reading a great book called Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron.  She also recommends the single grain cereals, brown rice, millet and rolledoats/oatmeal.  She also recommends the 4 day wait rule.

HTH!!!!

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 01:15:14 am »
Hi frano,
Rice cereal gave my ds horrible gas when we gave it to him!  I think the only reason it's recommended as a first food is that it's very unlikely to be allergenic.  However, neither are sweet potatoes, pears, etc. and I haven't had a problem with any of those.
Ds is also allergic to dairy, and the brand of cereal I use for him is called "Healthy Times".  I'm in Canada, but it's an American brand.  In addition to rice, there's oatmeal, barley, and wheat, and they are all dairy and soy free.  I've also had good luck with the organic section in my grocery store.
Good luck!!
Vikki :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline frano

• Oh look .....shoes!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 16:44:24 pm »
Thanks!!