Author Topic: LO obsessed with doing laundry!!!!  (Read 7020 times)

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:53:48 pm »
Anyone else got a LO who is obsessed with laundry?   ::)   I am not complaining, I've just had a good solid 45 minutes of BW time while DS takes a load of laundry out of the washing machine and piles it on the floor, and then puts it all back in one by one. Over and over and over again. No matter that it's wet, clean laundry and my floor is dirty so now have dirty(ish) laundry....because in three hours when he's fussy and grumpy and bored of his toys I'll just wash it again...that's another 45 minutes of amusement while he stands against the washing machine laughing and cheering while it spins around  ;D

Heaven forbid he forget that there is laundry on and leave the kitchen.  If the cycle changes and he hears the new noise then GET OUT OF THE WAY -- high speed screaming crawl to get there and make sure he doesn't miss a thing.

On non laundry days he has his own plastic box with bibs, burp cloths, socks, etc that sits in the living room.  He will spend most of his A time just taking them out and putting them back in.  Clothes out, clothes in, and repeat!

Anyone else got a laundry monster or is it just me!?  :P

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: LO obsessed with doing laundry!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 13:02:57 pm »
Nope, not the only one!

Stan has two great loves in his life, footballs and washing machines. When he arrives at either of his grandparents' house, the first thing he does (LONG before saying 'hello') is make the sign for washing machine, and goes to check on them. In our garden, he takes a break from football to have me hold him so he can look over the fence and see the neighbour's washing machine (they have a glass back door). Going for a walk to the corner shop is an activity that is currently on hold because if we don't visit the laundrette (a detour), there is a big meltdown. This morning I found a sippy, two cucumber sticks and (yes) a football in our machine, waiting to be washed.

I thought it was genetic, Stan has a cousin who was(is) obsessed too. Aged about 3 he was playing on a beautiful beach in the south of France, and his aunt asked if he was having fun, and he said 'Yes, but can we go home and see the washing machine now?'
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 13:15:07 pm by anna* »

Offline Mashi

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 13:05:30 pm »
LOL!  what's the sign you use for washing machine?   i have tried signing with DS (from 6 months to 10 months) and he is too spirited and impatient i think to be bothered with making them but sarting with washing machine may be a good one!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 13:13:34 pm »

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 13:20:39 pm »
Oh....must be a spirited boys thing!

Oscar used to LOVE the washing machine too!!! Still does, but now he is a REAL helper...sorts the socks, helps me hang the washing etc....

takes me back about 2 years....your stories!!!

As for what he called it = it was the "oooh-oooh" with his head spinning for MONTHS, then gradually progressed to "washisheen" which it remains today even though this is one of the rare cases where daddy's lg (Polish) is easier than Eng - pralka - he still uses Eng. I wonder why??????? ha ha!

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 14:17:43 pm »
Hmm, guessing you must all have front loaders then? Not nearly so fascinating with a top loader! I'm actually wishing a had a front loader now so I could keep DS amused inside! Put him outside and give him sticks and stones though...

Offline Mashi

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 14:20:40 pm »
Yes, Lan, I think front loaders are the most common here in the UK - no laundry room with big side by side washers and dryers, but small front loader in the kitchen. In our case it is a washer/dryer-in-one so once the laundry is washed I can get another 30 minutes of entertainment putting the dryer on and let him watch it go round and round again!!

You'd think we have no more laundry to do in the house but for some reason I always seem to have a load a day, mor eon the weekends! For two adults and one baby!!!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 14:23:50 pm »
Yeh, front loaders. I usually have a load a day, but Stan wears cloth nappies so that accounts for at 3-4 loads a week. If there's no laundry to do, I put in a couple of tea towels and just run a spin cycle.

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 18:47:49 pm »
funny....top loaders (but SMALL ones) are much more common here....I had one in the last two places I lived here...but when we moved to our new place, which was a concrete shell at the time, I also pushed for a front loading washer dryer to go in the kitchen....

The kitchen is the place I have always seen washing done.....plus our kitchen is huge, bathroom quite tiny, so it made sense, space-wise as well....

s X

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 20:29:39 pm »
Another washing machine obsessed boy here too! Before he could walk if we put him on his ride on he could get from the lounge to the utility room to see the washing machine ::). Now he will empty it when it is finished and put the next load in - I just have to remove the trainers, wellies and anything else lying around put the powder in and put it on. ;D The downside is it gets a bit embarrasing in peoples houses when he goes straight for their washing machine and empties it - usually of clothes waiting to be washed :-X.

Actually, the obsession has extended to anything that spins - balls, wheels, fans etc. His favourite phrase at the moment is "look - round and round it goes!!!" It's amazing the variety of things he can make spin!

Laura

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 21:29:51 pm »
Isaac has reached the point of actually helping.  He hands me things out of the hamper bag to go into our top loader washer, and when it's time to dry, I put the wet things on the dryer door (it opens down, so makes a "shelf") & he shoves the things into the dryer.  ;) 

When J was that age, he'd have a fit wanting to see in the dryer (front loading), but no window & when you open the door it stops!  There was just no making him understand that!
Candice

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 22:54:29 pm »
Quote (selected)
Oh....must be a spirited boys thing!

Nope, I have a 15month old spirited girl who has loved the washing machine ever since we got a front loader! (about 2 months ago!). Also loves putting her washing in the dirty washing basket and when I take the washing off the line I have to give her each piece for her to put in the laundry basket.
Jenny - mama to

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 23:03:58 pm »
DD hasn't seen wash going around in the machine (it's in the basement and a top loader...boring) but she does LOVE to take clothes in and out of drawers and bags. Piece by piece she takes them out and in and out and in. She took all my panties out of their draw in my closet this afternoon while playing in my bedroom. Now I get to put them all away!

Offline elliesmama

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 00:50:47 am »
My 2 yr old LOVES the washing machine.  She dances to it.
Laurie

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 02:30:09 am »
We have a top loader down in the basement too, so the kids never see it...but I do have some lovely pics of Masyn at about 1 or so "folding" laundry wearing a pair of my (clean) panties on her head! We put her dresser in her closet so she can't take clothes in and out.
Heidi