Author Topic: 12-18 months Activity?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:48:23 am »
Any ideas? It should encourage a feeling of self, self-confidence, talking, signing and walking.

I am out of ideas... Again.

Maybe it's the heat  ??? ::)

Offline Niobe

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 23:38:12 pm »
Walks in the park showing them birds and flowers and all the things in the park  Go to the swings and sing songs and counting games when you go up and down stairs or steps. Nursery rhymes are good.

Building blocks and stacking games.

Books. They might get a favourite which you have to read over and over again. But that's good.

Talking about anything and everything. Smelly things, like fruits and such like.

Touchy feely stuff. Things that roll and things that don't by way of contrast. Children love balls. Balloons, bubbles.

Musical instruments, tambourines, bells, drums.

In other words variety, lots of.

A goody bag with different kinds of things in it. Furry things, puppets, crinkly paper.

Things they can push.

LOL. My house and garden can look like a nursery. They never stick at anything long at that age.

If it's really hot, water games. A baby bath will do with things that float and sink and things to pour.

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:38:02 am »
Push toys with activities on the front, a box of blocks to dump in and out, shape sorters, xylophones, a ball with a bell in it - these are the things my 13 months old DS loves.

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 14:22:21 pm »
Thanks  ;D

Forgot to say, I can't buy things for this kid and he doesn't have much either. Mostly those horrible loud toys with buttons  :-\ It should definitely be a one-to-one thing.

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 14:35:03 pm »
Sorry Steffi forgot your situation. Singing games with hand movements eg incy wincy spider (do they have that in Germany?) Banging spoons on pots in time to music. Hide and seek, peek a boo. Clapping games. Nursery rhymes. A jug with a bowl of water outside for pouring. A bowl filled with dry rice or pasta shapes. Measuring cups and spoons. Plastic cups that stack into each other. Containers with matching lids. Metal spoons. Standing or walking with hands held. Stones of various shapes and smoothness. Just sitting outside in a park exploring the grass!

Offline Shdef

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 14:47:01 pm »
I seemed to have forgotten all this stuff since Scotty totally grew out of this  :-[

Yeah, we do have German nusery rhymes, just have to learn them  :) :-*

Offline Niobe

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 17:07:10 pm »
Maybe Scotty has some toys and stuff he has outgrown and he and you could bear to part with.

Otherwise, objects that you usually would throw out. Like cardboard. Make shapes and people and animals, cars things like that, and paint them. Scotty might like to do this with you.

Old boxes filled with bright wrapping paper and stuff like that.

Yoghurt pots filled with pasta, dried beans.

Nursery rhymes are great. If you learn them his mum? might learn them too. They don't cost anything but time and can be done anywhere.

Offline Shdef

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 06:53:56 am »

Will prepare a box today. Thing is, he sort of needs both, the toys andthe one-to-one and it has to help development and I have simply ran out of ideas  ???

So thanks again  :-*

Offline Niobe

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:37:16 am »
If baby has not reached the usual development for his age maybe you need to look lower down the scale a bit. Does that make sense?

What is appropriate for a toddler is not for a baby who is not yet mobile. He may be 12 to 18 months in age but younger developmentally so gear play and toys to the most appropriate developmental age. He'll catch up.

Good luck and tell us how he gets on.

Offline Shdef

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 11:04:50 am »
He is 20 months, that's why I thought 12-18 is appropriate. But maybe some 9-12 months activities are appropriate, too, as he is at around 10-12 months old developmentally.