Author Topic: Searching for food intolerances  (Read 1186 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Searching for food intolerances
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:59:29 am »
My DS is 10 mths, with reflux and suspected MPI. He refused hypoallergenic milk, my doc doesn't want him on soy until 12 months, so he remains on a cows milk formula. My doc knows this and says that as J has a fear of food and bottles already that we cannot starve him onto a hypoallergenic formula as it will make the situation a lot worse in the long run. His reflux was controlled with meds, but we have had a recent flare. He is on the 0.4th centile but does manage to slowly gain weight. His eating remains an issue, and his range of foods is very small, he drinks little milk during the day and still has one outstanding night feed. I'm sure it is a calorie necessary feed as when he is doing well he STTN, but as soon as his intake drops he wakes for food.

I introduced yoghurt at 10 mths and we are now getting random night wakings to cry as well. He usually settles himself after a cuddle and being given his lovie. He has become terribly constipated as well, which I am sure is not helping the situation.

I'm pretty sure we have more undiagnosed fodd intolerances but I have no idea how to go about finding them. Do I just eliminate one food at a time? It will be hard as I will always have the cows milk present.

Plus his range of foods is very limited anyway, with far too much glutenas well I think.

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Searching for food intolerances
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:36:12 am »
Liz I've just posted on your other thread but have had another thought- you say he is having yoghurt. Is it plain yoghurt or fruit- flavour? Pretty much every baby yoghurt you can buy here is strawberry and Alex is allergic to it, but it's not the yoghurt that's the problem , it's the strawberries. Even though they're a tiny % of the ingredients, it's enough for him to have a reaction.
Just a thought? xx
]