Author Topic: 1/2 hour commute to nanny- cries inconsolably in car seat  (Read 3838 times)

Offline lilalley

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
1/2 hour commute to nanny- cries inconsolably in car seat
« on: July 13, 2009, 13:51:25 pm »
In 2 weeks I have to return to work :(  I am so scared of taking DD (will be 9 weeks then) to the nanny who is a half hour away in the same town as I work in.  She will be fine once she gets there... it's just the getting there.  She has hated the car seat from day one.  She cries inconsolably.  Cries so hard she vomits.  What am I going to do?  Should I stop every 10 min. and take her out?  If I went the whole way it would seem like I was letting her "cry it out".  Anyone else dealt with this?

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 1/2 hour commute to nanny- cries inconsolably in car seat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 13:58:37 pm »
(((hugs)))

Do you have a friend with a different make of carseat that you could try out? Perhaps yours is uncomfortable for her in some way? Can you take it out of the car and see if she is OK sitting in it when you're at home? Another thought is whether one of those white/yellow/black baby book/freizes would distract her, or some music, or you singing? You could also try those distractions when she is in the carseat at home (not in the car), and gradually build up the time she spends there. It may sound obvious, but do check the seat for any bolts/lumps/bumps that might be uncomfortable, if you haven't done so already.

Offline lilalley

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 16:34:38 pm »
I don't have a friend with another seat.  I will try the distracting cards though.  I have been trying to take her on walks in the stroller- uses car seat.  I can get about 10 min. before crying.  I will continue to try that too.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 19:06:22 pm »
Let us know how you get along.

Offline bennysmama

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 19:55:13 pm »
Do you have a baby shop nearby?  If you do, maybe you could take DD there and try out a few other car seats?   And let her play with a selection of toys at the same time, maybe?

Just thinking that this might answer the question of whether its the one car seat in particular or just car seats in general.   And, if trying out others is fun, then maybe it might make car seats less scary (?). 

Oh and have you tried hanging a toy from the car seat?   DS had a zebra with a mirror on its tummy and crinkly paws.  Entertaining for 30 whole mins!! 

Huge (((((hugs)))).   I hated going back to work too.   More hugs!   

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:39:50 am »
Mamas & Papas Navetta Travel System has a lie flat car seat, looks comfy. maybe you can get something 2nd hand? Crying after 10 min does sound like discomfort.

Offline lilalley

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 19:25:20 pm »
She had awful reflux for the first 6 weeks.  We are now on medication. (she's a new baby)  Do you think it could be left over from all the discomfort the car seat brought with reflux?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 20:19:01 pm »
If it was a simple aversion to the seat, I think she's be upset as soon as she went into it rather than 10 mins later?

Offline lilalley

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 20:40:03 pm »
true.

Offline ryates71

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:52:32 am »
Have you tried putting something soft in the car seat?  Perhaps a piece of material that you can put against your skin for a while so that it smells of mummy.  Fleece is really good because you can cut it for the straps to fit through without having to sew the edges.