Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 1688 times)

Offline MeAndVee

• Me & Vee
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • You talkin' to me?
Stairs
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:43:41 am »
DS is almost 23 months.  He has free rein of the downstairs.  I have been wanting to utilize the upstairs "family room" for a tumble space with a kids' tent and climbing blocks and ball pit.  Only problem...The Stairs.  When did you let your LO climb up and down the stiars without you being right there?  I have watched him and he is very careful going up and down on his hands and knees.  So should I take down the baby gates and let him go as he pleases?
Catherine - Sri - Vee

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]

Offline emz1907

• Showing Appreciation 13
Re: Stairs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:34 am »
My ds is 22 months and right now I wouldn't feel comfortable letting him go on his own upstairs. But then that's becuase he has stopped going on his hands and knees and now wants to stand upright and use the bannister. He quite often asks for my hand too.
~Emma~

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Stairs
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 19:09:18 pm »
Masyn just started using the stairs on her own a couple of months ago when she figured out how to climb the baby gate! (and can now reach the handrail and walk upright up and down)

I had never previously let her b/c our stairs go down to our basement, which is a cement floor and she has fallen down it twice now while we were with her (thankfully she's a quick thinker with quick relfexes and grabbed the last step to flip herself over and keep from hitting her head) 

I'll keep Spencer away from the stairs as long as possible, but she has already got some ideas in her head from her sister and tries to climb the gate. How many stairs do you have? are they carpeted? I would be more relaxed if ours were and there weren't so many of them!

HTH
Heidi
Heidi

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 19:31:27 pm »
DS started going up the stairs at warp speed at about 10 months. By the time we moved out of the house (12 months) he was refusing to be assisted in any way, and I had to stay a good three or four steps behind him or he would turn around to shout at me (and only THEN would he fall).... So, I never let him go unsupervised, but unassisted, yes.

Thinking ahead to what it will be like in another year, and if he is as good in a year as he is now at getting up and down, I would definitely let him go it alone.  But, that's easy now!!!