Author Topic: 10 week baby doesn't sleep during day  (Read 9224 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 10 week baby doesn't sleep during day
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 08:12:33 am »
It is definitely worth talking to the Dr. It's really very unusual that a little one should be so very resistant to sleep without there being something going on. Please try not to leave him to cry alone - in the BW books  Tracy was very clear that this can break the trust between mama and baby and that we must always try to find another way.

OK I may have asked these questions before but:
Is he swaddled? Is his nursery totally darkened? Does he sleep in his nursery at night? Is there ANYTHING you can do to make him sleep (ie rocking him, having him fall asleep on you/on the breast/car ride/pram ride/swing)

Offline loopylala

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 09:03:28 am »
As far as the questions go....

The swaddling didn't help, and he really does seem to hate it.  Just wriggled around for the duration of me trying to get him down, with no affect - he didn't go to sleep when he was swaddled.

We used to have him in our bedroom for the first part of the night, and when he would wake in the early hours, I'd take him into his nursery and feed him and then put him to sleep in there (so as not to disturb my husband too much).  There's a bed in his room, so I'd sleep in there with him.  For the last week, we've started him off in his room, which he's taken to really easily.  But then again, it's the night time feeds which haven't really ever been a problem.
We don't have black out blinds though.... which probably isn't helping.  Do you know a good place to get them from.  I suppose it's worth a try!

He goes to sleep instantly in the car, regularly on my breast, and 90% of the time in the pram or bouncing him in his chair.  I don't want to drive him around to get him off though!  And I do resort to pushing him around in his pram if he hasn't slept in his cot.  But other than the car where he'll sleep for the whole journey, he ony sleeps for 20 minutes or so in the other ones (pram, chair, boob).

I think today I'm going to try and give him more food and see if it knocks him out.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 09:14:16 am »
Let us know how it goes with the extra feeds. I don't know where you are in the world but you can get blackout blinds at most kids/baby supply shops (ie Mothercare in the UK, BabiesRUs in the US). Or you can just use cardboard or foil or even a thick heavy dark blanket up at the window. I know one mummy who used to pull her baby's beanie hat down over his eyes. I used to (and still do on occasion) physically put my hand over his eyes when my LO really needs to sleep but just can't seem to stop looking at the world.

If he sleeps well in the car, will he sleep in his carseat not in the car? At this point I'm thinking we need to get him sleeping more by any means, and work on independent sleep when he is less dramatically overtired.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 10:33:24 am »
I do have to agree with Anna here.  This is a case where your lo needs to catch up on some sleep, even if it involves some sort of prop.  We can wean a prop later, but can't teach an overly tired baby to sleep.

Also, please do look into reflux... it can rear its ugly head in many ways.  Have you looked at any links here about it?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

{{{hugs}}}  I know how very hard this must be on you.  Please try to relax about it though, lo will pick up on things if you are tense, which will not help him sleep.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 11:19:30 am »
Could he still have reflux, even if he's fine at night?
Yep, Caleb had bad reflux and MPI, even at his worst times (ended up in hospital) he still slept 12 hours at night :)