Author Topic: Is there a special trick to using the site's search engine?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline marensmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 202
Is there a special trick to using the site's search engine?
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:22:07 am »
The search engine and I just don't get along.  I'm trying to find a thread called Thumbsuckers Unite or something of the like, that I posted on some time ago... I can't sort through almost 4000 posts in my history for it and the search engine never returns anything remotely recent or even seemingly related to the keywords I type in.  Anyone else have this problem?
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline Gareth - Harvey & Theo's Dad

• Mac Daddy
  • Showing Appreciation 218
Re: Is there a special trick to using the site's search engine?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:22:36 am »
The search with this software is really, not so good, it's really slow too :)  It doesn't help so much that our database is so large that it ties up a lot of resources when doing searches.

Go into a Advanced Search and try setting the number of days to less than 730.  That should return results that are less than 2 years old.  If you think your post is older than that then adjust to the relevant amount of days.  You can also specify the user and, various other search parameters, which should help reduce the results.

Using the above parameters and the keyword "Thumbsuckers" I found the following post, is it the one you are looking for?

Thumbsuckers united (or ex-thumbsuckers - handy hints gladly accepted!!)
Gareth

Harvey - 18 Nov 2003

Theo - 24 Dec 2005

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:46:47 am »
I've always had the same problem Nicole.  I feel like I "know" everyone here a lot more than I should as I've spent countless hours reading posts from YEARS ago in my searches for what I am looking for!

Thanks for those tips Gareth!

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 13:11:39 pm »
Thanks Gareth!  That's the one I'm looking for!  I'll use those tips in the future!  :-* :-* :-*
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls