Author Topic: When will my baby hold the bottle by themself?  (Read 31122 times)

Offline blessedbear

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When will my baby hold the bottle by themself?
« on: August 30, 2009, 17:04:49 pm »
Hi,
We are trying to teach her how to hold bottle when it gets down past halfway but it seems like she would rather have us do it  :)  She is about 5 and a half months ( 4 and a half adjusted)  I was wondering when your LO's started to hold bottle on her own while feeding?

Offline matthewsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 89
Re: Holding bottle by herself?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 17:48:09 pm »
Our kids have all been diferent. Our first, didnt really want to hold the bottle, our second, tried every once in a while. Our third wanted to hold it from the time she was 5 months old.They are so diferent. I have a friend who has a one year old, and hes never held a bottle. It is part of their personality.  They are all so diferent its hard to tell .
Christie

Offline chrissie1982

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 17:56:38 pm »
Our lo wasn't interested in holding his own bottle. It wasn't until he was about 14/15 months and we started giving him his milk in a beaker that he would do it himself.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 18:07:17 pm »
My 13 month old will take his own nappy to the bin after he's changed, unload the dishwasher and put things in their proper place without being shown where, shout at me when he sees paper in the plastic recycling bin and then remove it and put it in the proper recycling bin, and carry his own finished bottle to the kitchen and put it on the counter. 

But not a chance on earth he will hold his own bottle while drinking his milk.  As far as he's concerned, while the above things may be HIS jobs, holding the bottle is clearly a parent's responsibility.... ::)

Avent make handles for bottles that are similar to the kind of handles on sippy cups. I think they do fit some other brands of bottles (but not all) and perhaps they will help her hold on herself?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 18:32:04 pm »
DS was 18+ months before he was holding his bottle but we have a picture of DD a few weeks old "holding" her bottle and it wasn't a one off!

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 19:37:12 pm »
My 12 mo will not hold his bottle either. Push it out of his mouth when he is finished - yes - hold it - no.

Lazy boy  :) :P

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 22:27:38 pm »
hmmm my boy holds his own bottle almost everytime Daddy feeds him but when I feed him, nope he wants to be a sookybum and have Mamma do it for him! LOL for the life of me i dont know why he does this cheeky little monkey  :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:52:38 am »
Masyn held her own bottle at 5 months, and soon after we switched to sippy cups and she never wanted help. Spencer would never hold her bottle and even though I used the same two handled sippy cups since she was 6 months old, it's only been the last couple of months she has done it herself.

LOL Mashi about the recycling...Spencer's only interest in that is to eat the paper!

Heidi
Heidi

Offline K's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Textbook baby!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 01:05:38 am »
DD is one tomorrow and she's only been holding her bottle for about 3 weeks now, and it's generally only the night bottle that she'll want to hold - for the morning bottle she still wants Mummy to feed her.  :)
Tracy (40) + DH (46) + DD (Sept. 1, 2008) + DKitties (x2)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 19:05:39 pm »
I agree with previous posters.  It all depends on the lo's personality.  Some want to do it early, some later, and some never at all.

My DS never held his own bottle and my DD started holding hers at around 1.

I hope you don't mind, I am going to sticky your post, as this is a question that comes up often  ;)
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:23:47 am »
My lo learned it by accident when I was giving her some tiny, tiny sized bottles.  If it is something you are intersted in having your lo do, consider little bottles.

Offline blessedbear

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 16:08:16 pm »
Hey all you babywhisperers!  Thanks for all the replies.  She sometimes seems interested in holding it for a few seconds or so...I like the idea of bottle with the handle thingy on the sides.  Yeah the bottles we use are the ventair and they are pretty fat so her hands are probably still too small.  She is still a petite little thing.   :D 

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 09:03:01 am »
well now Caleb holds his own bottle, hes 8.5 months old and has been doing it really well for most feeds (unless hes really tired) for about three weeks now so he finally graduated from only holding with DH to also holding with me and others (phew, frees my hands up!)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 20:50:45 pm »
Great news  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 20:39:51 pm by * Paula * »
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline magdalenapl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:10 am »
Hi everybody
My LO started to hold the bottle when she was around 6,5 months old. Now she holds it so strong I am not able to take it from her when she finish :) And it seems she likes it so much that no matter how many oz I will give her she will drink everything :)
Magdalena
Mom to Susanna and Jan