Author Topic: How long should a 6 month old's awake time be?  (Read 3664 times)

Offline nossi

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
How long should a 6 month old's awake time be?
« on: August 31, 2009, 22:05:31 pm »
Hi!  My 6 mo has been on EASY since he was born and is on a routine that works really well for us.  Recently, though, he's started staying awake for longer stretches (to be expected) but he's all over the map.  In the mornings, he can stay awake for 2 hours at most.  But in the afternoon and especially the evening, sometimes he can stay awake for 3-4 hours.  I sometimes skip his 3rd nap altogether.  I'm just curious if others have had this experience.  I am following his lead as best I can, but am confused at how he so suddenly progressed from 1 1/2 hours of awake time to 3 straight hours.  What have others experienced?

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: How long should a 6 month old's awake time be?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 00:41:47 am »
Hi! Just wanted to let you know that there is a lot of information about this in the General Sleep FAQ section.

Here are typical A times and ages:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64158.msg476652#msg476652

In general though it ranges from about 2 hr. 15 min. to up to about 2. 45 min. 3 hrs. is a bit high for that age, but not unheard of. Many los drop their 3rd nap around now. If your lo is also taking LONG naps, this may add to his ability to have a longer A time which is fine, but you might find that soon if you continue long naps and a catnap he may wake at night and or early in the morning. You may find helpful information in the typical amounts of day and night sleep FAQ as well.

Hope this helps you.