Author Topic: TV time?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
TV time?
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:38 pm »
I really don't like the idea of Stan watching too much tv, but I'm not sure what 'too much' is for us. He's never really been all that interested, tbh, would watch 5 mins then wander off and start playing. But he's OBSESSED with the baby signing time DVDs. First thing in the morning he asks for 'baby time?' As soon as we get home from nursery he asks for 'baby time? please? baby time?'

When we have absurdly EWs, all bets are off and the tv goes on until I am sufficiently caffeinated. But at other times I'm conflicted. Like after nursery: on the one hand he has had a busy day, a short nap, and some quiet time before bath is really good. And, I can get on preparing dinner, putting on laundry etc. On the other hand, he so totally zones out in front of the TV it kind of disturbs me. It's like he is hypnotised.

What do you think? Should I tough the tantrums out and insist that he read a book or something with me instead? Or just use the 'electric babysitter' in a conscious way and try to limit the amount of time he spends with it?

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
Re: TV time?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 13:21:42 pm »
listening in...
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 13:31:19 pm »
I'd go for limiting to 20-30 mins at a time, maybe when he needs to chill out when he is OS. I used to have the telly switched of all day until late afternoon, when DS1 would get a short time in front of the telly to wind down while i got dinner ready. Not every day eg not on the weekend or childcare days, just when we both need the break!

Since it only went on at a particular time he got used to it and didn't ask for it at other times.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 15:45:47 pm »
Here's a link to some other threads (at the end of this thread there are many links)
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=143262.0

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 15:51:47 pm »
After a busy time at nursery I would try and get Leorah to veg out in front of the TV but it didn't happen but for some reason she will sit and watch programmes on my computer and I am happy for that! My opinion is that she is busy doing stuff her whole day at nursery so watching some eductional and age appropriate TV isn't too damaging and I prefer she unwind than get further wound up!
Katt

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 16:16:08 pm »
agreed

DS is in a habit of watching morning TV while drinking am milk and we cuddle up. Its not disney stuff its all educational and its amazing how his vobaulary etc has grown and how he has learnt new things. So not all TV is bad. and the fact is if you over restrict it now at some point they will go TV crazy. he will question whats shown and I often refer to it.

We are in the US and DS loves Curious George and a couple of other shows. CG is a staple and the others are depending on wake time. He will most of the time happily say thank you to the TV and turn it off when I ask him to and its only in the last 6 months or so that he can sit through a show for 20-30 minutes before that 5-10 and he was done. he still loves Baby Einstein and Thomas the tank enginem epsecially the Thomas sing alongs and at one point he went through a phase where he would sing the Thomas songs all day....

but I do not let him watch Disney, I love Disney but I think the educational aspect of other programs is a lot better than mindless running aound trees and whacking each other...my Dad is a Donald Duck addict, the mindless running aound is what helps him relax ;)
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:25 am »
I was just about to start a thread about this... but now I'll jump on here instead ;D
I am of the same opinion that as long as what they watch is age apropriate and preferrably also educational, it's fine with a bit of tv, plus DD is bilingual and we try to get all her dvd's in english as she hears more swedish, and so far she's learne a lot from them. The question is of course though 'how much is too much?'

We have ended up in a morning routine lately where DD wakes up about 6am, wants her breakfast straight away and then wants the tv on. It's always me getting up, as daddy's no good these days, it HAS to be mummy ::) for some reason. So I drag myself and my big belly out of bed, make her breakfast, switch the tv on and get back to bed for another hr :-[ on weekdays DH gets up after a while so keeps an eye on her, but really she just sits there and watches the childrens' programmes or a dvd, and can easily do that for an hr, or longer. On weekends sometimes 2 hrs! :o Being really tired and pregnant it's just sort of happened this way, never thought she'd be satisfied for that long on her own, but she is, and I can't help but take advantage of it :-[

If it's a day she's at home we try to keep the telly off during the day and do other activities like read books, play out, play doh, drawing etc, but she will watch it again in the afternoon when she gets tired, and on nursery days she wants it on as soon as she gets home.

What do you all think? Do i need to get her out of this now before the baby comes, or is our "routine" ok? DH doesn't like that she demands breakfast and tv straight away when she wakes, and thinks it may contribute to her EWs (which used to be 5am for a while, now 6am, but her usual wake up was 7am for ages before this started) but I just can't take the battle atm as I know it would mean a massive tantrum (and she is spirited big time in her tantrums) instead of more rest for me in peace...

Don't mean to highjack your thread anna, sorry I've waffled! Just thought Stan's asking for "baby time" at the same times as Lois asks for tv reminded me of our situation.
I'm getting a bit worried she's getting addicted, or maybe she already is???
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:22:30 am »
The TV off during the day is actually for me - it does my head in having the telly on all day especially in the morning! Even though I used to watch the cartoons on Saturday morning as a kid.

Sometimes parents have to use the Tv as a childminder for want of a real babysitter - times like pregnancy, feeding a newborn, making dinner etc. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:24:18 am by MLK »

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:49:59 am »
Vicku, I think I am way more swayed to being generous withe TV as I make sure most of what L watches is in English and I have absolute no doubt that it has helped her vocabulary. I kind of envy you, Leorah will never just sit and watch TV, L can get into all sorts of trouble while still watching the TV  ::) You could make some rules, maybe get a timer and tell her when it goes off the TV does too and when the baby comes it may then be more exciting when you are busy  ;) At the end of the day though for me the more English Leorah is hearing the better, as long as the programmes are  mostly educational I don't mind but she is very busy at nursery and we are outside a lot so indoor time is limited, if I was pregnant and L was at home and could sit for over an hour I would use the TV too!
Katt

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 12:52:52 pm »
I support PP, better to ahve an engaged kid watching what you would have them watch than an OT parent and a cranky kid.

Desperate times need desperate measures.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 13:56:02 pm »
my DD always wants TV on first thing in the morning, Daddy is the one who always gets up with her and this is what they do . Up until this week she would only occassionally watch a whole show then go on her way. BUt this week she seems obsessed with it! All she is asking me to "put something on for her" I have indulged her a little as this is new and she is not 100% herself and is develping a cough.  My DS was a complete TV addict so I wont be making the same mistake again ;)

I think everything in moderation, if you are comfortable with the amount then seems like you have it spot on ;) everyone is different just like every LO :-*
Lee Ann,

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 14:03:49 pm »
Its heartening to know that DS is not the only kid who wants TV first thing in the am. He is so grumpy and I am so sleepy it works well for us.

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Vicku

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 18:29:12 pm »
I'm also glad we're not the only ones... Was worrying it'd be a bad thing once baby comes, but maybe it'll turn out to be good... to keep her occupied while I see to the baby in the mornings?

Anna, it was at Stan's age that Lois first became interested in tv more than watching a minute or two at a time. It was when she got her first Peppa Pig dvd from England :) She still loves Peppa btw. I just couldn't believe that she'd sit and wath for as long as she did. It's a tough one this really. There's so much mummy guilt involved as we all hear that too much tv is bad etc. But I wonder how bad it really is if it's things they learn from??? All day every day is of course not good as they miss out on other learning, interacting with others, using their imagination etc. But perhaps each family have to figure out what is acceptable and what is too much for themselves? Kind of thinking out loud here as I have the same questions as you. Thanks for starting the thread! :-*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 18:33:19 pm »
Vicku, I've been thinking about this all day and I think you're right. I mean, it's not like we have the TV on all day, it's not like they get all their stimulation and learning from TV. It's an addition to a big repetoire of activities and engagement with mummy and talking about the world etc etc etc. I think that 'thinking' mummies (my DH calls us 'meta-mummies') are always going to be mindful of how much TV is OK and how much is 'too much'. Let's not worry about it, shall we? ;)  :-*

Offline Vicku

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 19:56:18 pm »
Meta-mummies? I like it! ;D Yep, I'm definitely a thinking mummy ::) I think and analyse... and think some more LOL
Ok then, let's not worry about it :D It'll be one less thing to worry about so sounds like a good idea! :-*