Author Topic: short am/long pm question - what happens when am nap starts late?  (Read 679 times)

Offline aimeeL

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
short am/long pm question - what happens when am nap starts late?
« on: September 15, 2009, 18:31:27 pm »
So we're in the starting throes of the 2-1 switch with my almost 11 mo old DD... we've actually gotten into a pretty good rhythm these last 3-4 wks and have fairly consistently eliminated EWs...We started with 1 hr 20 min am AND pm naps, but have since whittled the am nap down to just about an hr, an hr and 5 min...

This is what our EASY has looked like:

E/A:  7 a.m.
S:  10:15-10:30 a.m.
E/A:  11:15-11:30 a.m.
S:  2:45-3 p.m.
E/A:  4-4:20 p.m.
S:  7-7:30 p.m.

The last two days, however, she has been refusing to go down for her am nap... so instead of going down by 10:30 a.m., it's taking until close to 11 a.m.  The first morning, I actually had to wake her at 7 a.m., so I thought maybe it was just because she'd gotten such good night sleep, she wasn't sleepy... but this am, she woke at 6:30 a.m. - and still refused to go down by 10:30 a.m...So a couple questions - 1)  When that happens, what do I do?  Do I just shift the whole day later, but still give same amts of time for each nap?  Or do I stick to the routine and cut the am nap accordingly... as in - if she goes down at 11, still wake her up at 11:30 a.m.. I'm tempted to go this route, because I don't like to push bt to 8 pm, since I HAVE to wake her up at 7 a.m. in order to get to work on time... but I wasn't sure if I should cut the am or pm nap...  2)  Is this the signal/warning of a problem?  - this refusing to go down for am nap?  If so - if she's needing more A time? - what do I do in order to make bt more or less around 7-7:30 p.m.?

TIA!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: short am/long pm question - what happens when am nap starts late?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 21:48:22 pm »
Mostly I'm bumping this up for you... but a lot of folks around here have shortened the am nap to 45 min or so in your situation. Just a thought.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:33:36 am »
Aimee-Ava had this problem for a little bit. She wouldn't nap until later in the morning...so I did what you said...11-11:30 IF she'd nap earlier I'd let her...but wouldn't let her sleep past 11:30 so I could get a pm nap in. On a half an hour only she lasted to about 2:30 for her pm nap and I would let her sleep to 4 if she would...but she didn't always...and then her bedtime was still at a good time. Before I started having her wake at 11:30 she'd sleep longer in the am and the pm nap ended up late and then bedtime ended up late, etc. etc.

HTH. :)

Offline aimeeL

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:58:14 am »
Yup - that helps - exactly what I needed to hear.. it'll be interesting to see how long she can go with 30-45 min.. because that's one thing that has been surprising me - even at an hr am nap, she can still do just a tad under her normal A time - which is another reason bedtime has gotten later and later!

Today, though, I was off work and home - and she went down ridiculously easily at her normal 10:15 a.m. time... so who knows - maybe it's actually the different environment at school that's the problem and this question is moot... =)  But at least I know what to do now if it happens again... =)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 20:40:07 pm »
I think we've tried every 2-1 nap option! When one would fail after awhile we'd try a different one. :)