Author Topic: its getting worse by the day...7.5 months and no pm nap....  (Read 927 times)

Offline annette.xx

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
its getting worse by the day...7.5 months and no pm nap....
« on: September 18, 2009, 09:03:09 am »
Hi

here I am again...still going round in circles!! so I have done 3 days of shorter A time to help solve what we thought were OT problems and each day has got progressively harder!!

yesterdays example;

wake 6.45
E...6.45 BF
A
E...8 SOLIDS
A
S...9.30 - 11
E...11 BF
A...
E...12.30 SOLIDS
A...
S...2.05 - 2.24!!! (19 MINS!!) COULDNT EXTEND...(put her down at 1.50...15 mins settling...not wanting to go sleep crying and crawling round cot!!)
E...3 BF
A...LONG WALK HOPING SHE WOULD GO SLEEP ...WALKED UNTIL 5.15 NOT GIVING IN...
E...5.15 SOLIDS
A...SHORT BED ROUTINE
S...5.55PM ASLEEP IN BED
11.05 - 1AM ...NW ...WOULDNT SETTLE,ENDED UP BF AT 12.40 SHE RELAXED AND FINALLY WENT SLEEP...DEFINATELY NOT HUNGRY THO JUST COMFORT SUCKING!!

TODAY

WAKE 6.15am
E...6.15
A...
E...8 SOLIDS
S...8.45 - SEE HOW LONG THIS ONE LASTS!!

Today before AM nap she was rubbing eyes,yawning big time at 2 hrs 5 mins so I tried to put her down thinking tired from NW... had same fight I usually get for pm nap...took her out and gave another 30 mins and went down like a dream!! yay!!

ok so let me explain fully where this all started...

a month ago lots of things started ...swine flu,teething crawling and hols...after hols her naps were becoming very difficult she was waking from pm nap at 1 hr ...I knew it was OT and with help from here got a few good days but then naps got shorter still at 45 mins...

cos the day was getting to be so short as pm nap was short and no catnap happening I tried to stretch her out for am nap which was 3 hrs A before and always 1 hr 1/2 ...so if she woke at say 6am I would try and extend it to 9.30 so she was up again at 11 rather than 10.30...she handled it really well no problems...

then she started suddenly waking at 1 hr so We knew OT was occuring so cut this back to 2 hr45 A...nap became 1 1/2 hr again...

pm nap was still at 3 hrs A time and still at 30/45 mins so we thought OT still so cut back A time to 2 hr45 as she was also showing alot of tired signs and since the am nap shortening A time had worked thought this was the answer...

first day 20 min nap... managed to extend but took sooooo long nearly gave up!!..again thought if I managed to extend then must be OT...

second day...20 mins again...managed to extend ..again hard work...

third day...19 mins!!! extending impossible...no sleep again all afternoon bed at 5.55pm!!, NW due to OT...

settleing for these naps has been absolutely horrendous...feel like she has lost independant sleep skills...screaming the minute I lay her down...again thought OT behaviour

So now thinking back to my original theory that she is just one of these babies that may need more than 3 hrs A time in the pm?...

the reason I say this is that this morning when I put her down too early she did exactly the same fighting with me and crying for ages...another 30 mins and it was like she was completely ready and no problem...mornings are always fine for settling usually even if OT so I thought it was odd she was so angry!!...

then I think back to last week when I got her weighed and missed her 3 hrs A time slot by accident and it went to 3 hr 30 was very worried and she did take 10 mins to settle but slept for 2 hrs...I had to wake her as it was nearly 5pm!!!!

Also on hols when we were out and about she was falling asleep around 3 1/2 to 4 hrs...now I know that was way too long and thats what caused my OT problems but she still had at least an hr nap and some upto 2 hrs!!!

sorry im rambling...so do you think it could be at all possible for her to need longer than 3 hrs A time??

also forgot to mention that before hols I posted on boards trying to get extension to my 2x 1 hr 15 min naps she was then on 3 hr A time for both naps...and we wondered whether it was OT or UT...had no NW back in those days tho!!!

thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies...I appreciate them all...

Annette.xx

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:26:42 am by annette.xx »

lilac83

Re: its getting worse by the day...7.5 months and no pm nap....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 01:29:13 am »
Hi -

To know for sure if it's longer A times she needs, you'll have to test that theory. It sounds like a possibility. All LO's are different so what works for one doesn't work for another, etc. PM naps here were always a pain, DD was the queen of 45min PM naps for AGES! So I definitely understand the frustration.

Does your DD give any tired cues in the afternoon? If she's still happily playing when you take her into her room for PM nap, then definitely extend that A time out a bit.

Offline annette.xx

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 06:57:29 am »
Hi

yeah she gives tired cues but then wants to continue to play...I find that in the morning when she is ready for nap she rubs her head on me and pulls to the side almost as if she is telling me to take her to bed...she used to do this in the pm too...but havent seen this in ages now!!

im trying longer A today...fingers crossed!

is 20 mins for a nap usually OT or can it be UT too??

Annette.xx

lilac83

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 00:28:29 am »
A 20min nap would most likely be OT I would think. Even if it wasn't OT, the LO would need a very short A time following so as not to end up OT. However, if the 20min nap followed an A time that the LO could usually handle, then I would think of things such as teething or some other discomfort.

HTH! And good luck with the longer A time. :)

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:00:45 am »
Hi, this thread is now locked, please go to this thread in the future http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=155844.0