Author Topic: Getting just sooooo picky.  (Read 8340 times)

Offline knackered

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
Re: Getting just sooooo picky.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 13:43:20 pm »
Hi ladies - I have a 19mth old that's getting extremely picky too - all he wants to eat are crackers! He's been gluten free since birth so toast isn't an option!!!

Just a thought though - have you tried breadsticks? As I type, my DS is dipping (gluten free) breadsticks into yogurt and enjoying it immensely. Maybe you could use cream cheese or guacamole or something for a similar effect??

Anna xx
Anna x

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 19:05:12 pm »
I just feel for all your frustrations.  I'm lucky that I have a good eater in the house.

Just wondering if you would consider giving store bought baby food to your LOs to try?  They are actually very yummy :P  (yeah I always try first).  Just without salt and additives.  Well balanced meals and convenient (good for ahem lazy me).  DS loves them.  I even got my 10yo niece to eat it (she's super picky eater). 

Do you always eat with your LOs?  What about having other kids over to eat?  Make sure you invite the good eaters only :P 

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 20:13:42 pm »
Yep tried store bought food and he will NOT touch them I've tried all sorts of flavours, and TBH at this age I don't see that point anyway. If I know he CAN eat a piece of chicken and a ham sandwich there is little point returning to baby mush.

TBH I think part of my issue is rejection of anything mashed and I wonder if it is a textural thing or an 'I'm a big boy now' thing.

Anna - yep breadsticks are ON the list of foods. They are bread - so of course he will eat them!! He hasn't really got the hang of dipping yet, but I'm sure he will love doing things like that once he figures it out.

Smoothies are worth a try as he used to like lots of fruits and recently worked out how to use a straw.

Mashi - yey for the great nap - hope you dodged the flying peas  ::).

I get the feeling that there is food out there he wants and I am just not providing it. I know that might sound mad but it is kind of the impression I get.

Fortunately my mum gets to feed him for the next 2 days. I'm thinking of taking him out for a pizza on thursday when I am home again. That is a food I would like to introduce now. And it is bread based so SURELY he will like it?!!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 20:42:30 pm »
who wouldn't love pizza? :P  burgers? :P   (I forgotten that it's mush in the jar :P)  lol... 

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 22:05:26 pm »
Liz,

maybe this has alreadybeen asked, but do you eat with him??

DS had gone realy fussy at one point and although I never have a whole meal with him as I wait for DH, i started having a  little snack with him and he has become a lot more easier wrt food!
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 10:30:46 am »
I'm thinking of taking him out for a pizza on thursday when I am home again. That is a food I would like to introduce now. And it is bread based so SURELY he will like it?!!

Been to the pizza place, were told never to return.   ::)   Got the "Uh this is NOT BREAD!" look of disgust.  "What is this red stuff you have put on my bread?" Ffffliiiiiiiing!  (On the lovely wall tapestries).  "Cheese? This is not cheese, this is some stringy melted gunk!"  Toss! (Into the plants).  "I do NOT eat mushrooms!"  Ready, aim, fire.  (Right at the waiter). 

Hope you have more luck than me.  It took us 6 weeks to go back to a restaurant.

We had a disastrous dinner last night.  I walked away from the table in tears (mainly at DH though not DS!!!!) We have fewer feeding problems and more willingness to try things when it is JUST me and DS, nothing else on the table or in sight except his food, and no DH around.  It's like ANYTHING that he can see that distracts him sends him into a headspin.  If he sees DH or I eating foods that he doesn't like, he gets panicky that we are going to offer them to him.  And because DH doesn't offer, he pesters until DS grabs it and throws it (which is where the throwing came from in the first place) it gets him really worked up. 

Sigh. 

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 10:58:39 am »
Also - another thought. Does he snack at all? I've recently cut back on all snacks and it has had a big impact on how the meal goes....

Big hugs - it sounds like you're having a horrible time with it...

xx
Anna x

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 13:32:45 pm »
really good point abt snacks, we do not snack at all, only emergency, DS loses all appetite if he snacks on even 1 cookies!!!

And despite having a carb lover pizza did not go down well at our end, not even home made, make it yourself, help mama kind :(

We actually have strict no food flinging and no toy flinging rules. Stuff 'vanishes; if flung...for me it was a cultural thing, wrt respect towards food, toys, books etc, would never step on a  book or food etc.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 14:23:22 pm »
Yes he does snack - but very small snacks only. For example his morning snack might be 10 raisins, but without it he will bust his nap as we are in the tricky final stages of the 2-1. It is definately an issue in the afternoon though as we are still phasing out his afternoon bottle. I'm sure it impacts on his appetite at tea time - hence why we are getting rid of it now.

Mashi - huge ((hugs)) - I often don't know who is winding me up more - DS or DH. DH often gets sent out of the kitchen for deciding to eat inappropriate things in the middle of J's mealtime. My experience of taking J out in the past has always been that he is too excited to eat anything at all TBH. Or he decided he wants one thing he has seen that is just not appropriate. Last time it was my sisters salt and cracked pepper crisps (and he was given a taste just to try and convince him that it wasn't nice and he would rather eat his own - but no - strong pepper flavoured crisps apparently taste lovely  ::))

I had a nightmare with tea last night as well. Refused to eat anything I offered at all. 1 breadstick and 1/2 a fromage frais. Then tantrum to get down. Had a late catnap and woke up from the starving - tears streaming down cheeks type hungry but by then it was only 45 mins to bedtime bottle time - so I gave him some rice cakes and raisins. Had a 9oz bottle before bed but woke at 5.30am hungry.

So sigh here as well  :(.

Offline MLK

• Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 11:30:36 am »
You know after having been through this with DS1  I think once babies are beyond the 10/11 month old stage their taste buds change - they don't want bland food at all. Maybe this is a no-no but now my DS2 is 1 I add salt to his food - unrefined sea salt, and just a pinch to give it some flavour... think how toddlers love all that salty food like crisps, chips, cheese, ham and breadsticks! So I thought, why not give healthy food some flavour? With his MSPI DS2 doesn't eat much processed food at all so the salt I add wouldn't be overdoing it.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 21:08:21 pm »
Hey ladies

Been following along and just not had time to post.

Have any of you ever had a look through this book?  (I wouldn't buy it, but its worth a read if you can get it at your library).
Just Take a Bite by L Ernsperger

In my other life (before my LO!) I worked on along side a number of feeding teams with LOs who had food issues.  With the majority of them it boiled down to pure control.  Your LOs are at the age (as you know!) where they know what they want and know how to get it! 

And food is one of the easiest things to try gain control over.  LOs have plenty of opportunity as meals and snacks happen so many times through the day and mummies just care too much when they don't eat (can you tell we're going through this at the minute too!??  If I hear 'mooooo-gurt' (Maeves attempt at yogurt) while she's swinging on the fridge door one more time, her and the mogurts may just end up in the bin!   ;) ::)

You can be as proactive as you want (eating with your child, letting them experiment and play with food, offering different foods etc) but once a child has drawn a line where food is concerned you have to be a bit more reactive where mealtimes are concerned.  Liz and Mashi {{{hugs}}}  isn't it the most frustrating thing in the world this not eating nonsense?  You are doing all the right things...not reacting, offering different foods etc. 

Mashi, your strategy of 'first this-then fav food' is one we used successfully with lots of LOs but what we did as the time went on was increased the amount they had to eat before they got their fav food.  This works well if LOs are open to trying new things, doesn't work so well if they are very resistant as it can actually draw attention to the battle they are waging more so than if you just ignore it.

Depending on the LO, the other strategy we used was to provide balanced meals and not provide their favourite food or a preferred food at every meal, as some LOs just held out for their preferred food and made it do and then filled up on liquids. 

Reading back though your LOs are still quite young but I'd keep an eye and see how it goes over the next weeks/months and see do you see an improvement before you panic too much.  Although I really did only mean to come on and recommend the book and I'm rambling away.

At the minute I am  providing a meal and/or snack each day of things Maeve will normally refuse and we are slowly but surely getting there. Other meals I just give what I know she'll eat and don't stress myself.  Its all things shes ate before and I know she likes them.  My LO will NOT touch shop bought meals, never has been impressed by them at all and I really want her to be eating more of what we're eating now so I felt I had to do something.  I had also been offering her favourites of bread and cream cheese but had to stop because she was then not eating the 'new' foods!  SO hard though to make a meal and it be refused and then not to give them anything to eat!  Nightmare for a mummy!   :(

Hope its going well for you all xx

(As an aside, I was just talking to one of my ex-pupils new teacher yesterday.  When he was with me he would only eat Bikers crisps and Smiley potato faces.  And drink ribena.  Talk about limited.  Should make us feel better about our LOs!!  I got him eating yogurts, pancakes, toast, cereal, fish fingers, chicken nuggets, chips, grapes, raisins, other crisps and am sure some other stuff and the new teacher told me since coming back after summer, hes now only eating the bikers again.  What a waste of hard work.  So long story short, at least our LOs aren't that bad!!!)

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 16:32:53 pm »
Hey Shiv, thanks for the tips. Good to know that I am not doing wrong by playing the "this that" game with his food. We have had to back off of it for a bit because last week I was doing it and he just really truly didn't like the "other" food I was offering, and so he ended up getting his fave food without eating the other one. So, he remembered that and now just insists on the reward food.  Went through this before and a couple of weeks break and he was willing again.

So what is it you do, anyway? Are you a HV?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 16:51:03 pm »
Its such a hard one, eating, to get the right balance! 

Definately not a HV!  I did psychology at uni and worked got work as an autism therapist.  From there I worked with a number of kids (mainly on autism spectrum but some not) who presented with development issues-some behavioural, some cognitive, some language based.  I then got a job with a charity as a early years intervention therapist providing home intervention for kiddies and their parents who were having problems (bit like Supernanny but much more focused on the proactive strategies than consequences) and then this extended to working in a special needs school helping teachers manage difficult and challenging behaviour.  Feels like another life these days but have to say I loved it!  I enjoyed the parent/home intervention much more than the school bit!  Hard work but mostly very rewarding! 

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 18:04:52 pm »
Sounds like an interesting job Shiv. And thanks so much for your input.

Would I be right in saying at this age it is mainly about offering and not reacting. I know Mashi has some success with the 'one bit of this and then that' thing, but I don't think Jacob has the comprehension level needed for that really. Although maybe he does as he certainly knows how to point at the toaster to demand toast instead!!

I think J has some textural issues as well as he just seems to be rejecting any sort of baby mush - be it puree/ mashed or lumpy. I really think he partly just wants real food but doesn't recognise a lot of things and also doesn't have enough teeth to manage fully yet. He is quite happy to eat a slice of cooked meat for example but can only really suck it or nibble it (so it needs to be roasted and soft and obviously I can't make stuff like that every day). Maybe he will improve a little with some molars? Or maybe wishful thinking!!

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 18:51:13 pm »
Was reading along as I also have a picky eater - only eats certain things, won't eat anything if not 100% perfect eg a grape with a spot on it, a slice of toast with a miniscule burnt bit..

To be honest I try not to worry about it too much. As far as I am aware, no child offered a range of food ever died of starvation, and provided I offer her a range of foods at least she gets to see and touch a wider range of things than she actually eats (IYKWIM).  Apparently for a whole year, when I was two, I only ate orange juice, melba toast and bacon - and am now a healthy adult who eats a very wide range of foods!  (so obviously this is where Katie gets it from...)

If there is something I know she will eat but is currently refusing (eg grapes - one of the few fruits she will eat) I will tell her she needs to eat eg 4 grapes before she can have something else that she *does* want - in an attempt to get some fruit into her - but don't want to manipulate her or for food to become an issue

We eat together whenever possible and I will tell her what I am eating and offer her some (she usually declines). I also never offer her snacks as she certainly won't eat anything if she snacks, and only offer her water to drink so that she doesn't get "empty calories" from juices etc.

So - I'm afraid I don't have any magic answers, just the knowledge that you are not alone...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:59:53 am by Bryony »

You only really know what love is when you become a parent