Author Topic: How many naps for 6 week old?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Jenncap

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 18, 2009, 20:03:23 pm »
I'm just curious how many naps is a 6 week old supposed to take?

He usually takes 3 big ones 1 hr to 2 hrs and then won't sleep from end of last nap, which is around 5-5:30 until 8:30.  I don't want him OT, but am usually stuck holding him swaddled for the three hours or he'll just cry and cry and cry.  Sometimes we'll get a cat nap, but usually not.

I tried putting him to bed earlier, but to no avail.  It's 8:30 or nothing.

Offline EZ-EMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: How many naps for 6 week old?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 00:28:31 am »
Hiya!  At 6 weeks, they pretty much aren't doing much but eating, diaper change and then sleeping.  5:30 to 8:30 is way too long for a LO when new born.  I think you've got crying from being overtired at that point.  If you want to post your routine, I'm sure everyone can help you.  But, like I said, at 6 weeks, you're pretty much eat, diaper, sleep.  Hope that helps!

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 01:24:01 am »
Hi there, 1-3 months total sleep is 15-18 hours in a 24 hour period, three naps of 1.5 hours each + catnap; 8 hours at night (still waking for feeds).  5:30 - 8:30 is part of the time known as the 'witching hour' and many babies are unsettled in early evening.  It's very normal, peaks at 6 - 8 weeks...usually settles by 12 weeks.  Holding and swaddling are pretty much what normally works, also using a baby carrier/sling, pushing in the pram/stroller, taking for a drive, rocking in a cradle, using a swing, bouncing on a ball...I am sure I have left something out...oh yeah putting LO in the bath, using white noise (running hairdryer, vacuum, bathroom fan)...basically whatever works to calm your LO.
The tweaking never stops!