Author Topic: Suggestions for a Church activity bag for 1 yr old  (Read 3223 times)

Offline vicstar

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Suggestions for a Church activity bag for 1 yr old
« on: September 19, 2009, 00:44:13 am »
We go to church each Sunday with our just turned one-year-old boy.  I'm finding it hard to keep him playing with our everyday toys, so I thought I'd create a special Sunday-only bag full of things to play with that only comes out on Sunday.  I'd love to know what other people use in their bags (or what they use instead)... (Church is for three hours, but includes lunch.)
Thanks  :)
Vicky

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
Re: Suggestions for a Church activity bag for 1 yr old
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:08:40 am »
just sitting in, hoping to learn and get some ideas :)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:57:05 am »
I bring some books that she loves and she's happy to sit and look through them.  The lift the flap ones are good for providing a bit more entertainment!  She brings her doll or a teddy with a cup and bottle.  MIL gave her rosary beads.  I also bring some finger puppets in a wee bag that she takes in and out.

Also we bring a sippy with water.

HTH

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:16:32 am »
What about odd shaped crayons for little ones hands?  Some look like rain drops and are easier for very young hands.

Can you pop into a toy store and get ideas?  You wouldn't have to buy anything.  Just get ideas of toys you have at home.

Or, religious book stores might have good ideas.  I have seen some soft purse type toys with religious characters that would fit inside and such that would allow for some interactive time.  I remember seeing Noah's Arch.  I understand the child might not get it, but there were animals and could keep their interest and they can put them in the holes of the boat. 

I have been at churches of religions that were different from mine that had bags already made up for the children.  Maybe someone has that were they attend and can offer ideas.

We have some interactive books with that have a religious tie in.  Might not be a strong religous theme, but a tie in.  We carry them in "cute" purses that look like animals so the child can use the bag to play with as well.

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 16:04:04 pm »
When our ds was that age we used fabric books (no noise if they fell!), crayons and paper, soft toys and usually snacks like raisins, grapes or an apple, a drink too.  Our church has a creche which some of us take turns each week to supervise so he gets part of the service in with us and the rest with his pals playing with toys.  Next year he will be old enough for Sunday school.

Offline aimeeL

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:29:25 am »
I have these foam books that my MIL bought us that L loves... they're made out of foam - so they're quiet! - and they have these foam cut outs that L loves to dig her little fingers in and pry out.. I've also seen activity books made out of felt with pieces to play with, etc, that are really nice for "quiet time".. How about finger/hand puppets?  L's current favorite toy is a flashlight! - might not be too distracting if you used a small one.. I also stock an old wallet with old business cards or those unactivated credit cards you get in the mail... L loves going through them piece by piece and looking....