Author Topic: Calcium in foods  (Read 3324 times)

scucci1979

Calcium in foods
« on: September 19, 2009, 19:14:32 pm »
My lo is currently eating yogurt, cheese and cottage cheese. What other foods can I give that contain calcium?

Offline PaulsMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Calcium in foods
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:00:50 am »
Aside from other dairy products, you can try broccoli, dried figs, bok choy, soy bean and tofu.   

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:38:33 am »
curly kale, okra, horseradish and watercress, red kidney beans, soya beans, petit pois, broccoli, cabbage, celery and parsnips.Some cereals have added calcium and also bread and salmon and sardines in a tin with the small soft bones.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:57:51 am »
Here's a decent list...

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/calcium_requirements.html

If she's eating yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese (and milk also?) she is probably getting a LOT of calcium in her diet each day so I wouldn't be too concerned.  Toddlers need about 500mg of calcium in a day -- so 8 ounces of milk, and a 1.5 oz cube of cheese is 600mg....more than she needs just with that!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 14:15:47 pm »
For some reason the UK recommends only 350mg for under 4s.  DSs dietician said that as long as he is having calcuim-fortified cereal with a cup or 2 or rice milk then not to worry about the calcium intake (the Ready Brek he has contains most of his daily dose) - DS intolerent to cows milk.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 14:38:16 pm »
Agree with Mashi here...be careful your lo doesn't get *too much* calcium, as it can cause constipation. I figured that one out because my dd has chronic constipation (since birth) and when I looked at her diet more closely, she was getting over 1000 mgs daily when she only needed 500.   :-[    If a lo has morning milk, lunch milk, evening milk and a yogurt....that is actually way over the daily recs.   Just an FYI!!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 14:57:07 pm »
Yes, I don't know why the UK is so low on calcium recommendations - TBH though in a LOT of different nutritional aspects the UK recommends lower amounts than most other country guidelines so I am not sure why!

Also too much calcium can inhibit iron absorption, so aside from the constipation issue, it's something else to look at. I actually REALLY limit DS's milk intake (he gets 3oz of cow's milk in the morning and can have a small cup (say 3-4 oz) of soy milk in the day and that's IT!  Mainly because he will take or leave milk, wouldn't care if I gave him water instead, but he insists on yogurt after dinner for his dessert and has a good 2 ounces of cheese each day...and cheese has more fat in it than milk and his diet lacks in fat so I prefer it that way!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 17:53:07 pm »
Maybe that is why the UK is such an unhealthy country ??? :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Sivo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 00:50:46 am »
Apparently the sesame seed is super rich in calcium... I make a "milk" of cereal recipe, from the brazilian book: "mum, I want it" of Sonia Hirch. In this recipe there's some sesame among other stuff. The grains are cooked for a long time, and the resulting cream I mix with 2 fresh vegetables, 1 type of green leave, sometimes 1/4 onion and 1 tomato... LO loves it! I can post the full recipe if anyone is interested...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:38:44 am by Sivo »