Author Topic: When the day starts out wrong - what to do with naps?  (Read 675 times)

Offline waffler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
When the day starts out wrong - what to do with naps?
« on: September 21, 2009, 01:03:18 am »
Today I mistimed putting my 7wk old LO to bed for her first nap, as a result, she was OT and had only a 30 min nap. Of course this means the whole day is all over the place. It's near impossible for us to extend her nap once she wakes, we have to take her out of the room and try all sorts of tricks to get her to sleep again, otherwise we just wait for the next feed and then put her to bed - but again, she's terribly OT.

Any suggestions please?

Her routine is something (well, it's actually very hard to pinpoint because of her short naps!!) like this, well yesterday anyway.

E 6.30
S 7.35-8.15

E 9.30
S 10.30-11.00

E 1230
S none!

E 3.00
S possibly ten mins in the stroller

E 5.00

E 7.00
Fell asleep for the night at 7.30

Two wakings, first at 1.15 (didn't do DF), and second at 5.35. After this she went to sleep but woke spitting up, then that kept her awake but she dozed for a bit, perhaps 30mins until she seemed to be wide awake today at 7.
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: When the day starts out wrong - what to do with naps?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 22:10:47 pm »
Hi there, bumping up for you, sorry we missed you yesterday :-)

How did it go?  At 7 weeks it's pretty much feed, diaper change and short A, and then back to sleep.  Finn did lots of short naps and cat napping at that age.  For us it was partly due to reflux and partly developmental.

For naps you can try starting with shush/pat...is she swaddled and take a paci?  Where does she sleep? 
The tweaking never stops!

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Re: When the day starts out wrong - what to do with naps?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 14:28:57 pm »
If first nap is short then you want to shorten A time for next nap period.  At this age that's tough b/c there's so little A! But instead of 1h15, say, you'd do only 1h max and pray to the sleep gods that it's enough of an A time reduction to get a decent nap.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!