Author Topic: hes just not interested  (Read 1680 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:02:45 am »
Caleb is not interested in playpens or toys, hasnt been for about a week or two, he loves doing his "worm" crawl around the house and i dont mind this, he practises going from lying to crawling to sitting up all the time, he pulls himself up on the coffee table and lately his most favourite one is climbing ME! this is a long process because he crawls over to me and uses any body part (usually my boobs, especially hate it when he gets my nipple OUCH!) to pull himself up to a standing position, he then flops down on his bottom, turns around in a circle, comes back and will start again. If i try to get him interested in toys he just starts pulling up on me.

I put him in his playpen and sometimes he moans and whinges so i go to him and get him interested in a toy but once again he just pulls up onto me, sometimes crawling into my lap. I know that im not gonna get everything done that i want everyday but my house is a pigsty, i havent cooked a meal in two weeks because he just isnt interested in toys or his playpen and i cant leave him alone to watch Playschool out of his playpen because then he gets into the tv stuff. The only way i got a shower the other day was because a friend was over and he just played with her. I can do stuff while he is asleep but sometimes i just want to rest while he is sleeping.

any ideas of how i can get him interested in his playpen adn toys again??

Offline sanaya

• Showing Appreciation 25
Re: hes just not interested
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:55:32 am »
hi jo!

first i giggled a bit but now i realise how frustrating it must be for you. ds 1 was just like this! hugs honey.

i suggest you start by firmly taking him off your body. and say ouch that hurts when he gets your nipple.

so get him used to the idea that he can crawl and play NOT on u. sit by him near his play pen and tell him u are there. i did not give mine toys....gave him pots and pans...seemed to interest him more...shiny pots and pans, tupperware etc. slowly move away and matter of fact while you are talking to him carry on with your chores. show him how busy you are.let him LEARN to play by himself again.when he moans, instead of picking him up, try touching or caressing? maybe hes a bit insecure?
and dont leave his sight. do this SLOW ok? it may take a while but he'll get used to it.
pots and pans, musical toys, toys with flashing lights, new toys...try it!

good luck.

ps i love your signature.
Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down.
Zayaan 18.05.03
Yuvaan 11.09.05
Vivaan  19.07.08

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 23:23:53 pm »
he seems to be alot better now, hes just so active and wants to explore so much all the time, i think we will definately be needing to buy him a jungel gym when he gets older, he loves climbing over cushions, i think hes bored with the floor!!! LOL plus hes just learnt to pull himself up to the coffee table so thats a whole new view of the world for him :)

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 01:34:24 am »
I think playpens really become frustrating to them once they can move around.  DS was never interested in his playpen, so I tried to make sure there was a safe area for him in the house.  It is a lot of work, but it is worth it.  I think they need a certain amount of freedom to explore, otherwise everything is 'off limits' and that much more appealing!  After a certain age, I don't really think you can do much to 'confine' them to a playpen, especially if they don't want to be in there!!  Babies need to explore!

As for toys, TBH DS hardly took any interest in toys until at least a year.  He'd pick them up and look at them, but no interest in playing with them.  Non-breakable kitchen stuff really does make the best 'toys' at that age, somehow they know it is not 'theirs' but it is still safe to play with.  What I did was rearranged my kitchen so all the accessible areas were filled with plastic bowls, tupperware, fun stuff for him to get at.  He'd play with that all day (and still does)!

As they get older and move around more and more, it does become more of a challenge to keep them in one spot and interested in certain things.  The world is just too exciting!  Just part of the game I guess.  ;)  My house is really small, so it wasn't too hard to do, but I literally babyproofed the whole thing as best I could, and I just let him go everywhere.  It was frustrating at first, but once he had explored every inch it became much easier to do things with him just wandering around the place.  Now he is familiar with everything and doesn't get into as much trouble.  Well.....he still gets into trouble, but I know what to do with him now!  lol   ;)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012