Author Topic: Is this a mspi?  (Read 963 times)

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: October 04, 2009, 19:52:49 pm »
We have just changed to soya formula as suspected lactose intolerance like myself.  She was struggling to poop and grunting and groaning for hours producing many very firm stools of a browny grainy colour.  We have been on soya formula (wysoy) for over a week now and have fairly runny yellow poops, very stinky and during most feeds (every 3 hours some days).  This weekend she has become very fussy but we think she is having a growth spurt wanting fed every 2 hours and even every hour.  She also has reflux and is on baby gaviscon and ranitadine - i would expect firmer stools with gaviscon.

Any thoughts.  I am not back at the docs for a review for a couple of weeks but if this is a reaction to the soya formula I should go back sooner.  It may just be the change of formula giving similar symptoms too.

Doc hasn't tested her for anything at all - just guesswork - but I may insist but it seems quite rare that they actually test babies.

Thanks
Pamela

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 20:07:14 pm »
Could very well be - and that it wasn't lactose intolerance (which is very rare in babies) but a milk intolerance (much more common in babies) and as well, a soy problem.  Gaviscon very often does cause constipation and firmer stools and so does soy formula - so if she's gone the other way then it could be an intolerance.  Change of formula does often cause change in poops for a few days but if it's been over a week now I would expect it to be settled by now.

It is pretty rare for them to test babies, most of the time it's not worth putting them through the testing when clinical diagnosis can do the job just as well, and the tests are not 100% accurate.  Can you go back and ask doc if you can try Nutramigen to see if she gets on any better with that? It's a milk based formula but the milk proteins are extensively hydrolysed and suitable for most allergic/intolerant babes. It's also lactose free.   

HTH

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 18:52:07 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts.  Went back to docs and she has prescribed Nutramigen formula and referred her to the gastro consultant at the hospital to be checked properly.  Hopefully we will get some answers and see some improvements too.

Pamela