Author Topic: Snack Ideas  (Read 3635 times)

scucci1979

Snack Ideas
« on: October 07, 2009, 20:44:34 pm »
I am running out of snack ideas for my lo.  At the moment I give her some cheese, crackers, cucumber slices, handful of cheerios, mum mums, fruit. Looking for some more ideas ;D

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 20:53:34 pm »
I am running out of ideas too!  :P  Fruit and veg are good ones, just keep trying different kinds to keep it interesting.  I've also started trying dried fruit (apples, dried banana pieces - organic baby ones I found).  What about different cereals, instead of cheerios?  I also found some organic cookies at Superstore, animal crackers and little oatmeal cookies.  But it is frustrating and stuff gets old fast!  So I'm interested in any other ideas too!! 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Snack Ideas
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 00:46:11 am »
Something else to try for snacks is yogurt.  I give him plain full fat with a fruit puree I make, usually prune.  I know it doesn't sound good but he just opens up like a little bird!  It's so cute.  I give him that every morning after his nap.  I don't think if you rotate that they will get tired of what you offer.  We are the ones that seem to get tired of offering them the same thing! You guys have some great ideas! 
I haven't tried yet but have you tried dips to go with the fruit or veggies?  You know, like hummus or guacamole or yogurt or white bean dip.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 00:54:14 am »
DS LOVES guacamole!!  He can't get enough of it!!!  He wasn't too keen on hummus, but I haven't tried in awhile so maybe we should try it again.....
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mommy_to_a_Monkey

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 17:27:29 pm »
Man oh man we are running out of ideas as well here!  Love the guac suggestion tho, I will get some this weekend.
I do the following:
Morning snack is always a fruit puree or really ripe fruit in chunks.

Afternoon snack is usually more substantial like:
Avacado mixed with cream cheese spread on mum mums
Yobaby toddler yogurt - vanilla and apple/pear blend are the only flavours I can find but I have paired the vanilla with some purees like melon, canteloupe, pears, and even mixed in chunkier stuff like banana's and blueberries.
Cheese (little bits) or cream cheese and apple sauce - he LOOOOVVEEESSS cheese! LOL!

Ya its probably us that gets bored of the same things all the time.
Kim

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 17:40:34 pm »
I offer up anything and everything we have in the fridge -- leftovers from last night's dinner in a tiny portion, even!

*Toast - DS likes it buttered and then left to go cold. Yuck! 
*Tinned vegetables -- he will eat 1/2 of a tin of corn happily for his snack, then I don't feel as much pressure to get veg into him at dinner!
*Muffins, english muffins, crumpets, scones, banana bread - anything carb based holds him over well until dinner if his snack is early.
*Pancakes - I make pancakes on the weekend and wrap them individually and put them in the freezer.  If I remember to take one out in the morning it is thawed by afternoon, if  we want them for breakfast I put them in either the toaster or the oven for a few minutes (toaster if just to warm them, oven if they are frozen!) For snack time DS will sometimes carry one around and eat it like a slice of bread, other times he demands maple syrup!
*Sliced meats - ham, chicken turkey, roast beef.... whatever we have for sandwich meat.  I cut it up into small pieces and again it makes me less stressed about getting meat into him at dinner.
*We do zweiback a lot here (probably most days!), the closest thing I can think they would be like is melba toast, I guess.  DS likes them, it takes him ages to eat one, and it's good when he's teething.

I guess I don't really have foods that are designated "snack" so much!  I use snacks to balance out the day. So if he didn't want his milk at breakfast, then I would have a yogurt or cheese at snack, if he's drank loads of milk but not been eating meat, then I'd give him something meaty (like leftovers from dinner, deli meat, etc) and so on. Just smaller portions of it, and if it's messy and he can't walk around the house with it, we spread out a blanket and set up his "friends" (dolls and teddies but DH won't let me call them that!) and have a mini tea party so that he stays put!

Offline Guedo

• Lyndsay
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Momma and Colin 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 05:55:21 am »
I'm also looking for new ideas. I give a lot of different things like:

Graham crackers, goldfish crackers, mum-mums
Toast
Cherrios (Banana and plain)
Baby cookies