Author Topic: DD's erractic scratching on chest causing it to bleed  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Darceysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
DD's erractic scratching on chest causing it to bleed
« on: October 27, 2009, 19:36:21 pm »
Hi

Can anyone shed some light.

Our DD has been scratching her chest to the point where it bleeds. We are not sure if she has an allergy to food (toms, onions, fruit etc).  She is 7.5 months old and is weaning brilliantly and taking most foods that i make for her.

She has had some dry skin on her chest which we thought was caused by her constant dribbling from teething but lately she cant stop and its causing her to scratch so hard she bleeds. We have not changed washing liquid/bath wash etc and it is only on her chest.

Is this a teething thing and if not how do i know what she has an allergy to. She is formula fed and we have changed her milk to the follow on milk (she was on the hungrier baby formula) and am going back to that as she is now waking up early and she never used to.

Also the scrathing tends to be in the evenings not during the day and before and after her bath.  Maybe something she is having at lunch and then it causes the itch ????

Many thanks

Darcey's Mum x

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: DD's erractic scratching on chest causing it to bleed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 21:41:46 pm »
It sounds like it could be eczema. It could be food allergy related, or something new that she is coming into contact with or due to teething and it could just be that your dd has developed eczema. I am not a doctor though so it might not be eczema I am just going off personal experience with my son. My ds did turn out to have food allergies and he was also very sensitive to perfume people were wearing and we had to put an extra rinse on the washing and could not use fabric softeners. He also reacts to pollen aswell amongst other thins in the enviroment.

I would advise you to take him to see a doctor or his health visitor to see what they say. If it is eczema they should be able to prescribe an emollient and possibly a mild topical steroid cream (if neded) to help get it under control.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 21:45:07 pm »
Sounds like it could be eczema - I'm not an expert, but I would think it is the most likely explanation.  A friend has a lo who has a similar thing on her face, and she was told that it would not be caused by food allergies as it is only on one area - irritation due to food allergy would cause her to itch all over her body.

You should take her to docs to get a proper diagnosis, though.

Offline Darceysmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 21:50:00 pm »
Many thanks to you both.  Agreed I will take her to my GP and see what they say. Its just in one specific area so am hoping its not an allergy to food as she likes it so much :-).

Best wishes

DM

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:13:39 am »
How are things?

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker