Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 1207 times)

Offline ~Kiki

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Breastfeeding
« on: November 04, 2009, 22:38:27 pm »
I'm currently feeding lo#2. Lo#1 has an egg allergy so I've been instructed by her food allergist to avoid peanuts, nuts, and shellfish while breastfeeding.

So lo#2 has been having very bright, watery green poop with bits in it. Could this be a sign of a food allergy or intolerance? I haven't been eating anything different in my diet, and that's the only thing my lo's ped suggested was the problem. Lo#1 never had any physical signs. She was very gassy and had acid reflux until on medicine, but never had any poop signs of an allergy while I breastfed her.

~Kiki

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
Re: Breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 02:53:25 am »
Hi there :)

Green poo in breastfed babies is more likely due to a fast letdown and/or foremilk hindmilk imbalance.  Have you seen the http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=59243.0 FAQ?  Tons of info there!

Hth :)
Vikki
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ~Kiki

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:49 pm »
Thanks! I'll read up on that. That could definitely be it!!!

~Kiki

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 20:28:07 pm »
Hi,

Just curious what the "bits" in the poop are like?  The reason I ask is because my dd's symptoms manifested in Gi issues, including green poops (we also have hindmilk/foremilk imbalance and overactive letdown, but that was resolved by the time she was 3 or 4 weeks old) with dark specks in it.  It turned out the specks were blood because her intestines were bleeding due to a milk allergy (among MANY others!).  Now - you would probably have noticed that already, within the first month or so, but just giving some additional info =)