Author Topic: almost 10 month old sleep gone wonky  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Nauvoo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
almost 10 month old sleep gone wonky
« on: November 11, 2009, 21:30:52 pm »
well I've ready 10/11 month old sleep gone wonky and my LO is almost 10 months in a few days.  Is 10 months too early to make the switch to one nap.  We were doing great with two naps but about a week ago everything went wonky and we are getting 4 and 5 hour A times with about 2 hours in combined naps a day the latter being a catnap in the evening from which I have to wake her.  But my LO is pulling such long A times lately and I've tired, really tired to get her down earlier but she just happily plays and plays and plays with her blanket and hands and who knows what else until she falls asleep or whatnot. 
So, is it to early to start making the switch?
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:40 am »
are you able to put up your routine, even if its just yesterdays? some babies do make the early switch but i think that if its too soon then eventually it will catch up with her and she will become OT if she isnt quite ready. Caleb does 4 hours A time and sometimes 5 hours as well but theres no way he could do that for more than a few days.
once you put up your routine i will check back in :)

Offline Nauvoo

• Showing Appreciation 43
    • Concrete Picture Frames
Re: almost 10 month old sleep gone wonky
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 13:53:59 pm »
Well our routine of course depends on when she wakes up.  Yesterday is was 5:45 and the day before was 6:30.  But both days went something like this--
Wake 5:45
1st nap - 9:50  and woke at 11:10
2nd nap - 4:00  and woke her at 4:30
bed 7:30

yesterday I woke her after 30 minutes and the day before she had 45 minutes.  I woke her so we could keep with our bedtime of 7:30. This morning she I woke her at 7:00 am.
 She usually stays in her crib until she falls asleep but sometimes that can be a very long while.  Bless her heart she is a very happy baby.  
It's good to know you've been through this too.  I really hope it isn't sustained.  Thanks
DD1 (1/09)
DD2 (10/11)
DD3 (3/15)

[url=http://concretepicture.wordpress.com]Concrete Picture
Frames[

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 23:39:30 pm »
ok, well i think its far too long a day for her at the moment, i know the EW's dont help at all, heres what we do and seems to work for us, of course some days he wakes at 6.30, others he wakes at 7am but heres a general idea of what we do:

wake 7am
1st anp 10.45 - 11.45 (i wake him at one hour)
2nd nap 3 -4.30 (1.5 hours)
bed 8pm

so we do a one hour nap in the morning with a shortened 2nd A time then a 1.5 hour nap in the afternoon, this works really well for us, ive tried what you do with the long nap in the morning and the short one in the afternoon but it seems to make him OT by bedtime, i would try and hold off as long as possible in making the 2-1 switch as they really need two naps at this age. perhaps try and play with naps a bit longer before going in for the 2-1. have you tried what we do with the short nap in the morning?

Offline Flightmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 00:34:07 am »
Hey Calebsmummy! Sorry if I'm butting in here...Nauvoo06 and I have been having some similar issues. I've been trying the one hour nap in the am and then shorter A, but just keep getting another hour nap (or just slightly more) in the pm, no matter what...and of course, by dinner time and bedtime, he is beyond OT, even with an early bedtime. The 2 one hour naps are just not enough for my Caleb as he's on the higher end of sleep needs and extremely sensitive to A increases, so I feel like we're just stuck in a cycle that keeps feeding itself. Here's today's EASY:
6:15 Awake
9:30 nap 1 until 10:35
1:30 nap 2 until 2:40
6:50 bedtime, fussed and cried until 7:15, which he never does, so clearly very OT!!
  My A times are really short, especially for this age, but everytime I try to increase it, the nap just gets shorter.....the shorter the A, the longer the nap. Does that make any sense??

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:16 am »
Hi Jo (haha i remembered your name!!) well what about that first A time increase it to 3.5 hours and then the second a time, increasing it to 3 hours 15mins? thats what we have for our second a time, he is getting OT becuase its waaaay too long by bedtime. I know you say it gets a shorter nap but how much of a jump in A time are we talking about there?

Offline Flightmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:37:39 am »
Thanks JO!! lol!! We're talking a jump of 10-15 minutes...and this A time of 3.15 is already quite new for us...just this week actually, so I don't want to rush it. But yes, that last A time....whoaaaaa, way too long!! It's even too long for me, cause I just don't know what to do with him for that long!