Author Topic: Pesto/Pine Nuts?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Molly2

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Pesto/Pine Nuts?
« on: November 20, 2009, 21:49:01 pm »
Hi Ladies,

DS had a bad eczema flare up at around 3 mths.  It was mainly on his face/tummy.  I cut out dairy (was bfeeding) and started a heavy duty moisturising regime.  Over the next few months it cleared and we had the odd flare up mainly I think due to teething.  DH has asthma so i was aware that eczema might be an issue for us (common in his wider family). 

When I started weaning, I was quite careful about introducing any allergenic food and didn't introduce dairy until around 9mths.  When I tried a small amount of dairy/tomatoes, I felt there was a little flare up but it was difficult to know if it was due to teething.  He is now 10mths and can take small amounts of dairy (he is still bfed) and tomatoes without a flare up.  Infact he hasn't had a proper flare up in ages.  However I am still cautious about amounts and introducing new things.

One thing I have held back on is pesto as I know some types can contain pine nuts.  I have no idea if pine nuts are allergenic - does anyone know?  Obviously know you are not supposed to give peanuts until much older and probably most other kind of nuts if allery concerns.  DS's big sister loves pesto and he gets cross if she has something more interesting than him! so it would be nice if they could both eat it.

Thanks in advance.

Molly
Molly

DD Feb 2007
DS Jan 2009

Offline Emma-Rose's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 22:12:29 pm »
Pesto has pine nuts or walnuts, basil, EVOO, and TONS of parmesan cheese. Is your DS sensitive to nuts or dairy?

scarlettsmom

Re: Pesto/Pine Nuts?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 00:16:47 am »
Pine nuts are in the tree nut family which can be a pretty big allergen.  If you are trying to avoid high allergen foods for right now I would wait on the pesto a bit.  Also, as pp mentioned, it has lots of cheese in it so probably a caution food for your LO.

Glad to hear he hasn't had significant flare ups in a while though!  (how old is he now?)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
Re: Pesto/Pine Nuts?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:31:26 am »
In addition to the ingredients the PP mentioned, pesto has tomatoes and lemons.  If your LO is having issues with tomatoes, then it is probably not a good idea.
Kara