Author Topic: DD waking from her nap 45 mins in screaming hysterically.  (Read 900 times)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
DD waking from her nap 45 mins in screaming hysterically.
« on: December 08, 2009, 23:56:17 pm »
Hi,

My twin girls (both spirited) have finally been going down for 1.5 to 2 hour naps for the past 6 weeks or so. Nighttime sleep is usually excellent - going down at 6:30pm and sleeping until 7:00am. We have the typical issues during teething and developmental spurts but this is something new for us. DDB has begun to wake at exactly 45mins in her nap screaming in hysterics and remaining quite upset until we've had a good 10-15 minute cuddle. It doesn't matter what time she goes for her nap or how the daily routine is modified. 45 mins is the time and I could set a watch to it.

I'm posting this after doing a little research on my own and have come up with some theories as to why this is occuring but not really knowing how to help her through this. At first I thought nightmares or night terrors so I set up a video camera to see what's going on. There is full recognition of me when I get in the room and no thashing in her crib as she wakes up so I am doubting the night terrors. Perhaps nightmares but there is no rapid eye movement immediately before waking and no facial expressions to suggest this either. My theory is this is her time to come back to light sleep and she's either waking up and unable to settle or she's having a 'jolt awake'. You know - the feeling that you're falling and I think it scares the wits out of her. I've tried to catch it but  I can't seem to calm her back to sleep at all. The girls are spirited so pu/pd just overstimulates them.

I'm thinking she could possibly be going through a growth spurt because the spurts generally follow teeth and increased appetite. There have been no new food introduced, no other developmental changes so I'm really at a loss on this one :(

Any suggestions? This wakes up DDA and bad naps lead to bad afternoons and so forth. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I really want to help her though this.

Thanks,
Vicki

Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Re: DD waking from her nap 45 mins in screaming hysterically.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 09:39:33 am »
Hi there, is there a possibility its teeth? is it always at 45mins?

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:07:49 pm »
Absolutely always 45mins. You could set an alarm clock  It's been 6 days in a row now. :( Yesterday I managed to get her out of the room without waking DDA. She was in hysterics again and it took a good 30 mins of cuddling to calm her.

Today I'm going to try a little motrin just to see if it's teeth. The eye teeth have already come in so they only have their second set of molars left. She's the one who typically doesn't have much problem with her teeth at all but things can change. They like to keep us on our toes that's for sure :)

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 23:10:57 pm »
ok if its always at 45mins, can you do HTTJ? Im not sure how old she is so can you do this?

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:46:20 am »
httj?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:14:01 am »
hold through the jolts -
You place one hand on your baby’s legs, other on their chest and attempt to assist t hem through the jolts.  You would do this a few mins before the jolts that wake them occur.  You apply pressure until they stop jolting, plus about 5 mins. If they haven’t moved more, you can stand  back and see what happens.  If they fully wake you will have to employ your typical method of sleep to send them back to sleep.